Asus q301L keyboard problem, many keys not working at all!

kenfrank

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
My son brought home his Asus Q301L vivobook/laptop (it's got the touchscreen) from college, complaining it was broke... A whole bunch of the keys on the built-in keyboard do not work (in either Windows 8.1 OR Linux): The SHIFT, TAB, CTRL, 1, 3, 5, 8, 9, -, =, Q, E, P, ], \, Z, C, and /
keys seem to be the ones in question. Also the down-arrow cursor key.

The onscreen touch keyboard is fine in windows, and hooking up an external usb keyboard works fine, but neither is a great option for a student who wants to be able to take notes on it in class.
I'm certain it's not a windows issue, since booting into Linux has the same keys not doing anything. How hard is it to replace these keyboards?

speedymcrunfast

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
I'm actually typing this on the same model laptop. About 6 months ago I had a bunch of keys stop working and it turned out I had hit numlock on an external USB keyboard I had it plugged into. When I moved the laptop and wasn't using the USB keyboard the native keyboard lost a bunch of key functionality. I plugged the keyboard back in and hit num lock again and it started working fine.