Question Asus Q501LA dim/flickering display

May 28, 2019
Issue:
- Asus Q501LA LCD panel is dim and has a quick flicker

Cause:
- Small spark when connecting LCD cable back to motherboard while the battery was still connected to the MB. Whoops!

Tests:
- Laptop works perfectly fine when connected to an external monitor through the HDMI port.

- Built in panel still recognizes capacitive touch on the monitor

- Visually inspected both sides of the motherboard, don't see any burns/damage/blown capacitors.

What I'd like help with:
- I have a very basic understanding of electronics, so I'd like some support on the best way to troubleshoot this issue without spending an arm and a leg to fix it. This happened a couple of years ago, but I finally have some time/$/desire to get it back to it's original condition and free it from having to always be connected to a monitor.

- I'm not sure if my issue is the MB/Panel/LCD Cable. I don't believe this particular panel has an inverter, but maybe someone could let me know for sure.

- What should I do to pinpoint the source of my problem in the most cost effective manner? I saw some other threads say, just buy the components and start swapping them in and out. I called around to some repair shops and they all required a diagnostic test, which by itself was about the same as the cost of the cable/panel alone.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

May 28, 2019
If not an inverter then whatever the backlit driver is, I have no idea what this look like nor where it maybe located. Try utube, maybe somebody already gone through this.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I already checked Youtube, but there isn't any video available or other similar cases to this. Some people have had flickering from the cord being taught or squeezed on Asus laptops, but mine originated after the spark.

Was curious if anyone had any history with that or any idea what the likely culprit is.