Asus Q550lf - Gap between rear panel and hinge cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haibanero

Prominent
May 13, 2017
Hello community.

I brought a Q550lf about 4 years ago. I really didn't have any problems with it until I noticed that the rear panel started to bend on one side, apparently making a gap between the panel and the hinge cap.

I haven't paid attention to it until I notice that the gap was getting wider. So, in a failed attempt, I applied epoxy to that site, only to it broke like glass the moment I tried to open.

Normally closing the laptop would produce a not pleasing cracking noise, but I sorted it by applying pressure with my thumb in that corner while closing, so maybe the actual hinge is not broken.

Just today I saw that the gap extended to about a 1/4 of the hinge, and I started to worry, since I know some of these laptop's have a fragile one-piece screen, even is is just the cap.

Here is a photo of the left side of the hinge, still fine, and this is the right side, notice the epoxy residues.

I know I can provide much information since I really don't wanna try to pry it or something, but I'm in no position to purchase a replacement hinge and/or screen at the moment,and I don't have the option to check in on tech support where I live, more feasible would be to purchase a new laptop.

So my question would be: Is this something I can live with (as in, it would not compromise the screen or connectors), Should I try to use epoxy again in a different manner (Was thinking of applying epoxy with a strong piece of cloth to support it), Or is difficult/unfeasible and I really should start looking for a screen/new computer?

Thanks.

Solution
You should start looking into a screen replacement or new laptop.
While you can still use it in the condition it is in, it will surely get worse with more use. I wouldn't use epoxy again, as it will likely break again and cause even more damage than has already been created.
If you can live with it, and be careful with it, you may get more use out of it, but on something broken, there is no guarantee that you wont eventually damage a video cable or a wifi connection cable, which usually run through the base of the screen assembly.
You should start looking into a screen replacement or new laptop.
While you can still use it in the condition it is in, it will surely get worse with more use. I wouldn't use epoxy again, as it will likely break again and cause even more damage than has already been created.
If you can live with it, and be careful with it, you may get more use out of it, but on something broken, there is no guarantee that you wont eventually damage a video cable or a wifi connection cable, which usually run through the base of the screen assembly.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.