[SOLVED] ASUS QVL categories - what do they mean?

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well. Newbie here and would appreciate assistance on the following:

Can anyone please tell me what the following ASUS QVL categories mean? I am trying to understand them so I can properly select my RAM for my build which consists of the following: MOBO (ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero) and CPU (Ryzen 5950X).

1. SS/DS - is single-sided better than double-sided for the MOBO/CPU I have?
  2. RAM Speed vs. Supported Speed - what do these categories mean?
  3. Timing - is this something I take into consideration when selecting or is it just an FYI after the fact?
  4. Voltage - is this something I take into consideration when selecting or is it just an FYI after the fact?
  5. Socket Support - what do these numbers mean? (ex. 1,2 and 1,2,4)
  6. Size - my MOBO ,from what I can tell from the specs, has 4 RAM slots meaning it can accommodate up to 4 sticks; but when I look at the ASUS QVL for the MOBO it shows options like "8x8GB", "8x16GB". How could that be?

Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance and any additional information and comments you can share would also be appreciated!

Jack800

Solution
Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well. Newbie here and would appreciate assistance on the following:

Can anyone please tell me what the following ASUS QVL categories mean? I am trying to understand them so I can properly select my RAM for my build which consists of the following: MOBO (ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero) and CPU (Ryzen 5950X).

3. Timing - is this something I take into consideration when selecting or is it just an FYI after the fact?
  4. Voltage - is this something I take into consideration when selecting or is it just an FYI after...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hello All,

4. Voltage - is this something I take into consideration when selecting or is it just an FYI after the fact?
  5. Socket Support - what do these numbers mean? (ex. 1,2 and 1,2,4)
  6. Size - my MOBO ,from what I can tell from the specs, has 4 RAM slots meaning it can accommodate up to 4 sticks; but when I look at the ASUS QVL for the MOBO it shows options like "8x8GB", "8x16GB". How could that be?
Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance and any additional information and comments you can share would also be appreciated!

Jack800

1. Usually not important under most circumstances, it can become important when going for the maximum supported memory, or odd dual channel configurations (look up memory banks if you are curious)
  2. Memory will have an advertised maximum speed. the QVL may show a memory kit tested at multiple speeds.
  3. Timings are important, lower the better. Lower timings, less latency (how fast the memory responds)
  4. Voltage is somewhat important. Stock DDR4 requires 1.2 volts. overclocked speeds generally at 1.35 or higher for extreme speeds. This means putting extra stress on the memory controller in the CPU
  5. They tested the memory kits in 1 stick, 2 stick, 4 stick configurations.
  6. Meaning they took memory from 8x8GB kits and used them, likely, in the configurations found in #5.

Solution

Jack800

Commendable
Feb 8, 2021
  1. Usually not important under most circumstances, it can become important when going for the maximum supported memory, or odd dual channel configurations (look up memory banks if you are curious)
  2. Memory will have an advertised maximum speed. the QVL may show a memory kit tested at multiple speeds.
  3. Timings are important, lower the better. Lower timings, less latency (how fast the memory responds)
  4. Voltage is somewhat important. Stock DDR4 requires 1.2 volts. overclocked speeds generally at 1.35 or higher for extreme speeds. This means putting extra stress on the memory controller in the CPU
  5. They tested the memory kits in 1 stick, 2 stick, 4 stick configurations.
  6. Meaning they took memory from 8x8GB kits and used them, likely, in the configurations found in #5.
Thanks Eximo, much appreciative of your input!