[SOLVED] ASUS QVL Memory combinations...

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Hi,

Have an ASUS Prime Z-490-A and want to upgrade to faster memory.

I want to go to 32gb/DDR4-3600:

From the ASUS QVL I can use:

1. Corsair- CMK32GX4M4B3600C18 4x8gb 3600 @ $189.00
  2. Corsair- CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 2x8gb 3600 @ $74.00 (x2= $148.000)
So my question is if use #2 x 2 to save $41 will it OC properly to 3600 and be stable or do I have to stick with exact configurations?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
The QVL for ANY motherboard is only a VERY small sampling of what that board can support and is compatible with. Motherboard manufacturers don't test everything out there. MAJOR memory manufacturers however, like G.Skill and Corsair, do. They test their products on pretty much every motherboard to validate both JEDEC and XMP compatibility or lack thereof.

Your best bet is to use the Corsair memory finder application, at the following link, to find memory kits that have been absolutely validated for a specific motherboard, OR the G.Skill memory configurator. Other memory manufacturers don't have these tools, more's the pity, for them.

For Corsair you want to click Motherboard, then enter the motherboard manufacturer and board model and...

RealBeast

Titan
Hi,

Have an ASUS Prime Z-490-A and want to upgrade to faster memory.

I want to go to 32gb/DDR4-3600:

From the ASUS QVL I can use:

1. Corsair- CMK32GX4M4B3600C18 4x8gb 3600 @ $189.00
  2. Corsair- CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 2x8gb 3600 @ $74.00 (x2= $148.000)
So my question is if use #2 x 2 to save $41 will it OC properly to 3600 and be stable or do I have to stick with exact configurations?

Thanks.
While 2 kits might work, only full kits are guaranteed to work. I would opt for the 4x8GB myself but your risk level may be different than mine.

The QVL for ANY motherboard is only a VERY small sampling of what that board can support and is compatible with. Motherboard manufacturers don't test everything out there. MAJOR memory manufacturers however, like G.Skill and Corsair, do. They test their products on pretty much every motherboard to validate both JEDEC and XMP compatibility or lack thereof.

Your best bet is to use the Corsair memory finder application, at the following link, to find memory kits that have been absolutely validated for a specific motherboard, OR the G.Skill memory configurator. Other memory manufacturers don't have these tools, more's the pity, for them.

For Corsair you want to click Motherboard, then enter the motherboard manufacturer and board model and then filter for compatible kits on the left side of the page.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/memoryfinder

For G.Skill, which I prefer in most cases, the process is similar.

https://www.gskill.com/configurator

Yes, your board can support 3600mhz memory kits and be stable at the XMP/D.O.C.P profile, so long as you choose a kit that has been validated. Do NOT buy two separate kits. Buy ONE kit. Buying two kits of the same part number is no more guaranteed to work together than buying two kits with similar timings from different brands or series. Full details in my memory article under the section titled "Odd man out".

Solution