Asus R9 290X Matrix Platinum insane temperatures during load!

789oGaming

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
I just replaced my previous Asus R9 280 DCII OC with brand new Asus R9 290x Matrix platinum version. I knew that 290X's are tend to run pretty hot during full load, but I thought that problem was with reference cards mainly.

My setup:// AMD FX-8320 overclocked to 4,1 GHz // Asus M5A97 R 2.0 EVO // Hyper X 8GB 1600MHZ // EVGA 750B2 // CM 212 hyper EVO // Two Fractal R2 140mm IN // One Prolimatech 140mm OUT // One 120mm cooling motherboard/cpu socket // some ssd and hdd's // CASE Fractal Desing 3300 with custom side panel ////

So the problem:
My 290x hits 94'C in under 30 sec when running Unigine Valley 1.0 Benchmark, after that gpu's core clock starts to dicrease from 1050MHz to all to way to 900's. I know that 290x is designed to be able to run at 95'C, at least reference card is. I ran Benchmark with fans set to auto from Asus GPU TWEAK. I also tried with manual fan setting of 85-95 % with no effect on temperatures ( maybe 0,4 fps better result but nothing significant ).

After Benchmarking I tried some games. Same result. After playing 2min Next Car Game and Splinter Cell Blacklist temperatures were at 94-96'C. I didn't even dare to test Battlefield 4 yet. With my previous card temperatures never rise above 70'C after few hours of BF4 even if the fans were set to low % (20-45%).

I didn't however uninstall my previous GPU drivers before installing the new ones, I guess the new ones were AMD catalyst 14.12

I'm not very familiar with software things yet. And sorry my english. Should I go with gpu water cooling and void the warranty? I have planned to move on to water cooling in near future.

Solution
If they are running then it could be a thermal grease problem. I would contact Asus customer service, but I would probably end up returning the card.

The card shouldn't get that hot, that quickly.

789oGaming

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Yes, graphic card fans are running and they are running incredible fast. They sounds awful when running near 100%.

I'm going to check those drivers right away

789oGaming

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Unfortunately it's the sound of GPU fans. But they sound different on live because my phone's mic isn't that good and it's really loud noise what the fans are making.
My previous 280 with dcII cooling system didn't make that much noise even with fans turned up to 100%. I was pretty satisfied with Asus DCII so I picked this one...hope it's not going to be that loud when working properly

Well I just contacted ASUS Support, but it may take up to 48 hours before they even contact me.

789oGaming

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Thank you for your advices. I just returned gpu but it might take several days before they investigate the problem I was having with it.

789oGaming

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

I just received mail delivery few hours ago and it turned out that they had replaced my older GPU with completely new R9 290X Matrix. They told me that there was a problem with heat sink not having proper contact with GPU, but they didn't descripe that more precisely.

The new one is working fine. Temperatures stay reasonable during heavy load, from mid 70's to low 80's while fans are pretty silent ( manual fan setting 30%)

I would guess that the thermal paste between the heat sink and the card's GPU was not applied correctly. A void in the thermal paste would diminish the thermal transfer of heat to the heat sink, resulting in high operating temperatures.

But it sounds like the new card is working well for you. Good luck.

Eugengutol

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
I get the same issue, but I can't return the card to shop (was brought in april in another country) now I have a dilema : buy paste and use it or go to some local PC repairing companies so they would take a look. Asus team insists to get the card to the shop....

I get the same issue, but I can't return the card to shop (was brought in april in another country) now I have a dilema : buy paste and use it or go to some local PC repairing companies so they would take a look. Asus team insists to get the card to the shop....
Then I would follow the Asus recommendation at this point. I assume that the card is still under warranty. They should cover the repair.

Khemore

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
I have the same card.. though it dosnt get that hot.. One of the problems with these Asus ati cards with direct C0II is that the cooler is designed for nVidia.
So the cobber that is supposed to have contact with the gpu isnt good enough for Amd gpu´s.. one solutions is to buy a custom water cooling for the card or use this: http://www.corsair.com/en/company/press-release/hydro-series-hg10-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket-unlocking-the-true-performance-of-graphics-cards
also the heat can reflect some artifacting and fliggering when playing games. My opinion Asus did a really sloppy job making this card and its simply not good enough.

789oGaming

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Well mine is working just fine now. I returned the faulty one and got the new one. Temperature is between 68 and 72 degree celsius while gaming. I do also have full cover EK waterblock but I haven't even opened the package yet. I do however have a couple of noctua fans pointed at GPU to keep it cool.