ovenroasted

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
Phenom 2 x6
Radeon 290x OC Edition
16gb vengance ram
Crosshair IV formula
Win10

Recently my GPU became stuck in 640x480 resolution. The card has been running in factory settings and not OC’d.

The problem followed my 1yo cat finding great amusement in squeezing in the small space behind my PC, it looks like she stood on the HDMI plug in the PC. The cable casing came away from the metal part of the plug exposing wires but leaving the metal part in the port, I removed it after pulling away the cable. Not realising what had happened I would have touched the wires while they were possibly still half connected (the display was not receiving a signal at this point).

I’ve used Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode to completely remove the drivers. Windows 10 rebooted using its basic video drivers where the resolution was then in 800x600

Reinstalled drivers and the problem returned. The card cannot be changed from 640x480 - the options to do so are greyed out, windows just shows the one option, no other resolution options.

I’m connecting via splash top remote viewer, no displays are connected.

What do we think has happened?

ovenroasted

Prominent
Dec 11, 2017
UPDATE:

I’ve read some other posts indicating the HDMI cable is a two way thing, such that the TV says “hey! I can only do these resolutions” and the GPU replies “no sweat, I gotcha covered”

Since the win10 drivers had the card in 800x600 I postulated that perhaps a short circuit had occurred but rather than destroying the card it set it into some kind of “I can only do this resolution” mode.

I’ve now plugged in a monitor on the DVI connection and the resolutions are back.

I’ve yet to try using the HDMI port again so will update when I do, but worst case is I’ll use a DVI to HDMI adapter.