Asus R9 380X and Dell Inspiron 620s

Mike_001

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Hello, so I am planning on upgrading to a new PC that i am going to build, but am currently using a Dell 620s PC that I bought back in 2010. Im planning on using a ASUS R9 380X STRIX 4GB graphics card. Sadly, I wont be able to get all of my build's parts until December this year, so I am going to try and get the graphics card in my Dell -so i can play Overwatch soon haha- I plan on being able to get the graphics card soon, but to be able to do that i would need a better PSU, and to do that i would need a bigger case, both of which I would be able to buy soon as well. So basically, my question is: Will the R9 380X be able to run on this motherboard(http://www.amazon.com/Dell-GDG8Y-M5DCD-MIH61R-Small-Tower/dp/B00BXN5USK)?

Solution
Technically, yes. It has a PCIe x16 slot. But sometimes OEM boards with legacy BIOSs have trouble interfacing with newer gfx cards that have UEFI BIOSs. You'll either have to chance it and try it, or check on the Dell forum with folks that have that board/PC.

But if you are planning to use that board in a new build, I recommend you save some more and get a retail board. OEM boards sometimes have proprietary headers and don't work with the connectors on retail cases. That board looks like it has conventional headers, but I can't be sure.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Technically, yes. It has a PCIe x16 slot. But sometimes OEM boards with legacy BIOSs have trouble interfacing with newer gfx cards that have UEFI BIOSs. You'll either have to chance it and try it, or check on the Dell forum with folks that have that board/PC.

But if you are planning to use that board in a new build, I recommend you save some more and get a retail board. OEM boards sometimes have proprietary headers and don't work with the connectors on retail cases. That board looks like it has conventional headers, but I can't be sure.

Solution