ASUS R9 390 Strix heat issue?

arber

Reputable
May 16, 2015
I have been told that amd gpus tend to become quite hot and are expected to be. While playing games like Witcher 3 I have seen temps of 92 degrees celsius, after a new fan configuration it is at about 85 degrees celsius, was any damage caused to it when it reached 90? On a side note, how hot should an i7 4790k get? I reached 90 once, but it hasn't exceeded 70 ever since I changed the cpu cooler to a push-pull config.

Solution
I have the r9 290 which is the older version of the 390. The GPU should be fine at 90 degrees (so no damage). However with an aftermarket cooler such as the strixx, temps should be in the 70-80's.
So 85 is slightly hotter than usual, but fine.
At stock my Sapphire 290 maxes at about 80 degrees on a hot day.

As for your CPU, you'll probably want a max of 80 degrees. SO 90 degrees is tooo hot. Keep it in a push.pull config.
By the looks of it, it seems your system needs more airflow so just speed up all your fans. The 2nd temps as max temps are fine ;)

-good luck

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
I have the r9 290 which is the older version of the 390. The GPU should be fine at 90 degrees (so no damage). However with an aftermarket cooler such as the strixx, temps should be in the 70-80's.
So 85 is slightly hotter than usual, but fine.
At stock my Sapphire 290 maxes at about 80 degrees on a hot day.

As for your CPU, you'll probably want a max of 80 degrees. SO 90 degrees is tooo hot. Keep it in a push.pull config.
By the looks of it, it seems your system needs more airflow so just speed up all your fans. The 2nd temps as max temps are fine ;)

-good luck

Solution

AreFlame

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
For your information the R9 290/X cards are manufactured to maintain full usage, (no throttle) until it reaches 95c, which meens it is manufactured to hold up to 95c but im not saying its good for the card to run at a constant 95c but it should be its max since you asked. So your temps should be alright.