ASUS Radeon 9800xt question

Akolyte

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2003
First of all, I'm running an ASUS Radeon 9800xt on an ASUS P4P800-Delux motherboard. When I go to set the AGP speed to 8x under display properties and reboot, it automatically sets it back to 4x or lower after bootup.

The motherboard in question supports 8x AGP at the correct voltage specification of the GPU, but fails to yield results.

Under the BIOS, I have set the AGP appature size to 256mb if that has anything to do with it, I'm not quite clear on the significance of that.

Any thoughts on why I can't get it to run in 8x mode? The card seems to perform decent, but I get the impression it's capable of a lot more. Thanks.

PS. Fast write also gets set back to off when I try to turn it on.

ZZSpaceman

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
256 sounds like a fine setting for the Graphics Aperture size. Based on what you said about your system. I'm surprised that you are being reset to the 4X mode. You do have the graphics aperture priority set to AGP? Not that it should matter.

A couple things you might try. First reload or upgrade your diver to CAT 3.9. Now if your not in the 8X mode disable the fast write in the SMARTGART tab. If that doesn't work, try downloading a utility like SiSoft Sandra and see if it tells you that you are in the 4X vs 8X mode. Still in the 4X mode and getting desperate, try downloading Rage3D Tweak.

Finally if you have another 8X card try installing it.

ZZSpaceman

cleeve

Illustrious
Take heart in the fact that 8x AGP offers very little in terms of real-world performance over 4x AGP.

A mere 5% difference if you're lucky.

wario25

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2003
I have ATI 9800Pro and my also resets to 4x AGP and turns fast writes off. I have the same motherboard.