[SOLVED] Asus Rampage 2 Gene 1366 Question

Aug 22, 2021
Hello, I am new here and I was wondering if I can get some information about my motherboard. I just bought this motherboard and I was having trouble mounting a CPU fan.
It seems like it has a screw hole instead of an open hole for the CPU fan. In the first picture, I have a screwdriver on the mounting hole.

Motherboard
Another view
Backplate
CPU fan hole

Here are some pictures,
Thanks any information is good
Thank you!

Solution
OK, sorry, but due to the age of the components your choice of coolers may be limited to finding one designed to screw into the existing bracket holes. I looked at the 1366 one I have here which is from Prolimatech, the backing plate is different but most third party coolers mount the same way by screwing directly into the bracket holes, or by mounting a second support plate using the screw holes and then mounting the cooler onto that, which is what Prolimatech did. So you could try searching for coolers designed for a 1366 screw on mount, or you'll be stuck trying to pry off the existing brackets. Perhaps you could place the motherboard on a soft foam surface and tap downward on the screw holes if the brackets are only held on by...
The brackets installed in the picture you uploaded are designed for an aftermarket cooler which screws into the bracket screw holes. What model cooler are you using and how is it designed to mount on the motherboard? Is it designed for a 1366 socket? Since this design is around 10 years old, you may have a problem getting the proper parts. Did you already have a socket 1366 cpu and is that why you bought a 10 year old motherboard?

Aug 22, 2021
i have the CPU and all the parts ready to go. I'm building an XP gaming pc for older games. Also, i have a 1366 aftermarket cooler that will work however I cant mount it due to the bracket that is installed.

OK, sorry, but due to the age of the components your choice of coolers may be limited to finding one designed to screw into the existing bracket holes. I looked at the 1366 one I have here which is from Prolimatech, the backing plate is different but most third party coolers mount the same way by screwing directly into the bracket holes, or by mounting a second support plate using the screw holes and then mounting the cooler onto that, which is what Prolimatech did. So you could try searching for coolers designed for a 1366 screw on mount, or you'll be stuck trying to pry off the existing brackets. Perhaps you could place the motherboard on a soft foam surface and tap downward on the screw holes if the brackets are only held on by friction and to loosen them until they fall out. I don't remember any of the brackets from that era (or even now) where adhesive was involved, most just rely on the friction of the mounting holes and the installer holding the bracket in place until a top side bracket is screwed on. Otherwise if there's adhesive involve, you'll have to resort to NighthawkRMX's heat and glue softening advice.

Solution