Asus Rampage II Gene. ATI TriFireX x16/x16/x4. Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpatague

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I just had a curious question to ask. I have an Asus Rampage II Gene and I am running two 5850's in CrossFireX on the two x16 slots. I also have an Nvidia GTS250 running on the x4 slot for dedicated PhysX which works rather well. I am able to fit all three cards on my motherboard because I use a 12 inch PCI-Express ribbon cable that allows me to move the GTS 250 away from the motherboard.

You can view some pictures of my system to see what I am talking about by going to: http://s148.photobucket.com/albums [...] /Computer/

So my question is, would it be possible to connect a third 5850 on the x4 slot and do x16/x16/x4 5850 TriFireX?

From what I have seen the x4 slot is sufficient enough to run a graphics card with minimal performance compared to x16 and x8, but also wouldn't effect the performance of TriFireX either according to reviews.

The reason I would like to do this is that PhysX is nice and all but so few games I play utilize PhysX and I would get more use from a TriFireX configuration. Plus with the ATI 6000 series right around the corner there should be some price drops in the 5000 series cards coming.

Just as a side note, I am upgrading this Asus Rampage II Gene to the Asus Rampage III Gene shortly so the GTS250 would go with the Asus Rampage II Gene and a 9800 GT for dedicated PhysX in a second system.

Status
Not open for further replies.