Question ASUS Ranger VII + SAMSUNG M.2 970 = Not in BIOS, OK in Windows

Cozmon

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Hello wise people of the interwebs !

I recently purchased a M2 SSD, the lovely Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW 970 EVO 1 TB V-NAND M.2 PCI Express Solid State Drive, Black

My motherboard is ΑSUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER

After some research, and reading a few posts in here, i decided to go with a PCIE adaptor in order to use the most of the speed of this SSD, as apparaently the onboard M2 slot limits the speed quite a bit.

For that reason i also bought together the M2 PCIe SSD Adapter, x4 PCIe 3.0

All the items were delivered yesterday and installed them into the PCIE port.

Computer started fine and the new disk is visible in Disk Management, and after a format ready to be used.
Installed the Samsung Magician software as well and even updated the drivers of my other older Samsung SSD (840).

My main plan however was to use this new 970 disk as a primary and install Windows, so after preparing a USB boot stick i restarted and went into BIOS.

In the boot options however, i could not find the new 970 SSD..

(Initially i had some other issues with the GPT ..etc but werre resolved after using DISKPART commands, but i ended up cleaning it fresh as there were some extra partitions )

After reading some articles here and there, i tried a fix by disabling the CSM and changing the secure boot option to Other OS and not UEFI , but when i did that the PC could not boot as there was no disk to boot from.

The new drive works fine it is just that i cannot use it the way i wanted to.
Worst case scenario is to use the old 840 SSD for Windows and all programs/games with the new one.
My other HDs are a Samsung 840 and a WD .

Similar articles

5nxq36b.jpg

rR3yf0B.jpg

I5AkUvU.jpg

FBZRoZq.jpg

Cozmon

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Thanks for that - i missed updating the BIOS .. now it has the latest version.
Now i can see the SSD in the Boot Override options (Samsung SSD 970 EVO) but not in the Boot option Priorities..
Any ideas?

WsgYO9R.jpg

Cozmon

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Managed to remove all other hard drives ( old SSD and SATA) and at some point i noticed that the new SSD was appearing in the Hard Drive BBS priorities, which is a secondary boot option.. but then disappeared again.

I decided however to use the M2 slot of the mobo (it needed to be activated via BIOS - Advanced).

Everything was going well, until i tried installing Windows 10 on the new SSD....
I was unable to do so, because of getting the infamous
" Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition” and “this is not GPT disk” .

I then dived into the Windows madness by running DISKPART commands and manually creating a partition/ installing from USB but still it was not working from me.. ( Steps can be found on this very helpful video )

When I was about to go mad I decided to use a program to format and clone my OS to the new SSD.

Worked like a charm ! Formatted the old SSD, copied OS and now I have an partition on the new one of the old C:/ and the rest empty for storage.

The speed im getting from the new SSD is 2gb/s , would it be more via PCIE you think?

Cozmon

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
What speed are we looking at, at its max if possible? Like 4gb/s ?

I dont think that i would go through it again, but maybe in the future will give it another go if worths it.