Asus Rebrands AMD Graphics Cards, 'Arez' For 'ROG'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Really don't see how this makes any difference or why Nvidia wasted their time with this initiative. Who goes into a Best Buy/Microcenter/whoever and asks to buy a ROG, or any other AIB specific brand, video card and walks out when they don't have one? Any one fooled by this marketing maneuver wasn't familiar with the branding exclusive to Nvidia now anyway.

gc9

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
The no-lipstick look of this card is nicer, especially for starting AI'ers and AR'ers not interested in red-light districts or horror flicks.

Nvidia has all these AIB parters by the short hairs. EVGA doesn't have anything to worry about because they do not produce AMD cards. Thank heavens Nvidia got out of the motherboard chipset business.

Now if we can just get AMD to be competitive on a high end GPU as good as they are in the other tiers against Nvidia. No company should tell another company how THEY should market their products. Goose step some more Nvidia and I might have bought my last GPU from you.

Well it's not so much as fearing them in cowardice as it is a business decision for the bottom line. I have no idea what chip ASUS sells more of in their GPUs, but I'm sure it's close to 50/50 on AMD/Nvidia. They can't risk losing half their GPU market by penalties from Nvidia (or all out refusal to sell their chips to ASUS). There's a time to pick your battles.

As much as we all hate it, this is not one of them. I'm just going to sit back and watch the FTC look into this as a potential anti-trust business practice. I already wrote my Senator and US House Rep just to get something on record. You guys need to do the same. Enough of us spoke out against the wrong information of the GTX 970 and it caused a class action lawsuit went to a federal district court to take action giving we owners money back (it took a year, but I got my two checks for my 970s). The difference here is that this is a potential anti-trust violation and that's what raises FTC eyebrows.

DragonAsta

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
I hope the AIB really stick it to Nvidia basically "cool you made us give you our gpu branding that we took years and many millions of dollars to build, no problem, we also support AMD because they aren't greedy mofos like you are, so we are also making sure they get the best cooling we can possibly give them you want to steal our brand name for you own use, no problem, do not be upset when the AMD brands are bar none a superior solution"

in other words, they really need to stop being Ngreedia and do what they claim to do and put the gamer first, get rid of all the proprietary BS and support more open source stuff which costs a fraction if anything and they can get and give benefit just the same.

greedy mofos why people throw $$$$$$$$$$$$$ at them (Nvidia/Ngreedia) and their stock valuation is much higher on a P/E basis than other companies that are WAY better is beyond my understanding basically rewarding them for their shoddy quality control proprietary BS as well as patting them on the back for never admitting to whatever mistakes you catch them doing.

screw Nv...glad to see at least some of the AIB are fighting back in the ways they can (Dell and HP absolutely refused to support GPP) and I do hope that they get at least some pay the courts big$$$$$$$$$ even get refused to ship into their countries for X amount of time as a "thanks for playing stupid"

^.^

shabbo

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Nvidia basically forced Asus to oust AMD from their ROG brand. Not cool because AMD hardware with Freesync is often always the better choice for most gamers. Maybe the few gamers that can afford the 1080 Ti or Titans with G-Sync can boast more performance but AMD is the better choice for the entire gaming and game developing community.

That's an excellent point. We aren't just talking about ASUS' GPUs and motherboards in their ROG line. We are also talking about their laptops and Freesync monitors with the ROG naming. This is wrong on SO many levels. It would be like the ZF transmission company that Chevrolet uses in their Corvette ZL1 telling them to not use any "ZL1" naming in their cars and trucks because Chevrolet also uses transmissions from Tremec transmission which puts them in their Camaro ZL1s (hypothetical but that's what it would be like).

And I'm going to state it now: I've only had two AMD GPUs and mostly been Nvidia since the RIVA TNT days. The reasons are too long to detail here over 20 years of PC building, but it is actions like this that will push me away from Nvidia for a future GPU purchase. I have a better conscience than to support a market bully.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Hilarious. Let's boycott a company whose products have been nearly impossible to find for months due to demand and are selling for 50-100%+ over MSRP when they do appear. That will most definitely teach Nvidia a hard lesson.

The internet sure brings out the stupid in people.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

No, it wouldn't be like that at all. There is no modern ZL1 Corvette, so not even really sure what you are talking about.
There's a ZL1 Camaro, and a ZR1 Corvette. The closest useless car analogy to this situation would be Ford using brand X of transmission in the Shelby Mustang and Brand X tellling Ford we will give you X,Y, and Z if you don't call any Mustang using someone else's transmission a Shelby. You're free to use other transmission in your Mustang, but you need to come up with a different trim level name for it.

Uhm, what part of "(hypothetical but that's what it would be like)" did you miss in my post? I wasn't being technically correct and tried to explain it to the non-gear heads here in as simplest terms as possible. Ths is a tech forum, not a Car & Driver forum. Some members here have never even owned a car and live in a big city using public transportation.

Finally, I assume with your posting that you have no problem with Nvidia doing this. That's your right. But that doesn't make it RIGHT.

Phhh, their point is that they are going to look more at the competition. I am waiting for Navi. My 1080 FTW died twice in 10 months, tell me about quality...

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Your explanation of why you made stuff up doesn't negate the fact your analogy still wasn't comparable to this situation.

Continuing on your reading comprehension analysis theme. I clearly stated my opinion on this in the first post I made above so why are you guessing my viewpoint? I don't get why Nvidia did this. It looks like a stupid move from a strategic standpoint which will bring nothing but negative attention their way from trolls like you, without bringing back any real benefit to them. If the basics of the program are accurate as they have been reported by multiple sites up to this point, there appears to be nothing illegal in the agreement between Nvidia and the AIB's. As such, I don't care they are doing it. I have never in my life bought a video card based on the sub-branding.

I apologize and did not see your first post at the top. I just addressed your addressing my choice of hypothetical comparison. The fact you don't agree with my choice of one does not negate it as invalid. You have your opinion and I have mine. By the way just to put this out there, calling a long term Tom's member as a troll is generally considered an attack. But I've said my mind and am self-modding out before things go further down hill.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Ehh... someone else beat me to it. But the important thing is that I get your drift and you're not wrong... they're a chip supplier, not a graphics card manufacturer and it shouldn't be up to them. They're definitely being a bully. But if you defy them, you won't get hot new chips as quickly, and your overall supply could suffer. It's not a hollow threat.

I've used GPUs from almost every major manufacturer (most of which are gone) over the years... but Nvidia in recent years has annoyed me to the point where I won't use them in personal machines. I still recommend them where it makes the most sense, but they're definitely not first pick. Even before GPP, their middleware shenanigans were (and continue to be) an issue. Plus there's Expensive-Sync. Seriously just embrace Freesync already. Specify steeper requirements, demand that monitors meet "Freesync N" requirements, whatever. As long as the tech can be made to work on all major vendors moving forward... jerks.

alextheblue

Distinguished

I always hear arguments like this and I am reminded that people often have difficulty seeing outside their frame of reference. We are not the average buyers of graphics cards. More importantly, this could affect device branding, not just card branding. A lot of gaming laptop buyers are even less well-versed than say, someone upgrading the graphics card in a prebuilt. AMD could release a powerful laptop-friendly Navi chip, and you won't find one in a ROG laptop. But a lot of people just go oh I'll upgrade my older ROG for a newer ROG. It's hard to understand how most people make their purchasing decisions, as well as how much marketing/branding affects the populace at large.

Here's the bottom line: Nvidia thinks this will help boost sales. Are they wrong? Because if they're right... those sales come at the cost of their (very short list of) competitors. Personal anecdotes do not dictate the impact on the market at large. Hopefully OEMs and AMD produce and market cards and systems that appeal to the masses just as well, to counter the GPP push. I'm sure they won't take this lying down.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Cool i guess but replacing 'S' with 'Z' is one of most pathetic thing done ive seen. I get that elementary school kids think they are cool when they talk l33t and c00l but a serious company.............

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
So why they didn't created the new brand for GeForce in the first place ?

And what about other products like motherboards ? will they still be ROG like the new X470 motherboards ? so ROG will only be in graphics cards but still in motherboards ?

What a mess ASUS, grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.