Asus Rebrands AMD Graphics Cards, 'Arez' For 'ROG'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonAsta

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
as for the above why didnt they force a new branding from AIB (such as Asus, MSI, Gigabyte) instead of forcing them to force the GPU branding for Ngreedia usage...why would they, Nvidia is "known" to do the least amount of work possible, demand the higher $$$$$$$ from it, and cheap out on quality components and actions...GPP is exactly that, wanting what is not theirs, cheaping out on quality and actions and absolutely doing least amount of work possible (make someone else spend their money to make themselves look like a saviour)

as far as I know it will effect anything that carries a GPU, so motherboards are still free to align with the branding if they "want" but in my opinion, why should they, might as well not bother to support them more than they have asked
but yes as far as I have seen at least from Asus, the ROG or whatever will be Nvidia NOW specifically but the motherboards for x400 motherboards still use ROG in their naming (would have been a great time to use Arez branding basically 100% cut ties with the branding that Nvidia wants for their greedy paws)

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
So they haven't answered yet if GPP only allows products to be represented under one name. Then what about Intel and AMD motherboards, from the sounds of it Nvidia wants the brand pointed directly to their cards. So that would mean the motherboards are a violation of this aswell. If its just GPUs then AMD and Intel have the APUs/ integrated GPUs...

DragonAsta

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

Nvidia released the naming of what it is, claim transparency, refused to answer any questions about it, and when asked again basically said "we are done with answering your questions about GPP, we moved on to more important topics, so should you"

transparency from Nvidia LMAO, their business has long been about anything BUT transparency.

as far as I have heard, if someone like Asus wants to have a specific gaming brand for Graphics cards (such as ROG) they cannot use it for AMD as well, so it becomes Ngreedia property that is if the maker (such as Asus) wants all the marketing dollars, support, wafer first line access etc, basically, what Ngreedia used to give for "free" as a thank you for helping us sell our product, they turned it into you sell your brand as exclusive for US or we may not give you anything.

there are many ways this is illegal in North America, here is hoping someone with as much $$$$$$$$ as them hauls their butt into court case, so the courts are able to slap them hard for being tools like this.
doubt it though, seems Ngreedia gets their way constantly no matter the BS they pull.

Malik 722

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
if such thing is to happen where aib simply stop manufacturing amd based products then i will just simply buy a playstation or xbox if i want to game,i really don't understand why there are some people who would say that amd gpus are not great for gaming i had 1070 before rx 580 which i sold because i needed some money but when my problem was solved and got the money to buy an other 1070, it was way to expensive than before even the mining craze was not at it's peak than and the only card with respectable performance which i could get in the budget which i had was rx 580 and after using it i really didn't find any difference in it and in the 1070.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

I wasn't making an argument. I was saying why I don't care about this.

There is no branding within the computer gaming industry that carries any weight with the general public. There is no Mercedes or Apple, or even Intel. Most people don't know who AMD is, let alone MSI or Giga-byte, let alone even further any of their sub brands like ROG. You're talking about a niche of a niche. The brands Nvidia is trying to monopolize are so obscure, it really strains logic to see why they are doing it.

More generally speaking, this has nothing to do with being a graphics card enthusiast. I don't buy anything I plan on using for years without researching it first. When my wife asked for a toaster oven, I didn't just go to the store and look for a brand I had heard of. I am not a cooking enthusiast, and had no prior knowledge of who makes a quality toaster oven, so I researched it and read a ton of reviews before picking one. If people don't want to do the research, they either deserve what they get, or don't care in the first place making any branding attempts irrelevant.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

I've been a regular visitor of this site since its inception in the mid 90's. I've never heard of your troll policy here, so if it is something that actually exists, your knowledge of it must be a result of your frequent experience with it.

I'm not even going to respond to that and let the moderators be the judge on things.. All I'll say is you are the one with all the down votes here.

Now let's repeat since you didn't get it the eleven original responses above when multiple people here have tried to explain things: The branding and consumer recognition is not the issue nor is the amount of visibility of these specialized products in the market here. Like you said, I don't think any PC enthusiast cares a flip about a ROG or STRIX or Gaming G or a Purple Elephant Barney branding for that matter. Hardware enthusiasts shop based on a balance of price and performance.

The issue is Nvidia TELLING another company what to do. AIB partners in this case, and how THEY need to brand THEIR products. That's what has so many riled up. If that doesn't bother you, fine. But don't try and tell others it's no big deal. If Nvidia gets away with this, what will they do next? Tell AIB partners they can no longer offer rebates on Nvidia GPUs? Force them to pain their GPUs to match Nvidia's green? When does the insanity stop?

alextheblue

Distinguished

I never said anything about being a graphics card enthusiast. I'm saying that we (as in, tech heads) are not the average buyers of these products. Therefore our experiences in buying these products (or any product really) differ from average buyers of these (or other) products. Oh, and since I said average buyers (as in, buyers of these products)... that excludes the rest of the general public. A graphics card or gaming laptop buyer counts, someone who bought an iPad does not.

Regardless it seems you can't wrap your head around the purchasing habits of average gamers and other non-tech heads. Marketing for these products wouldn't exist if it wasn't at least somewhat effective... after all, it's not free. All these successful long-standing businesses aren't so stupid to throw money at marketing if they didn't get a return. Nvidia wouldn't be spending so much time and money on it otherwise - they're not incompetent, though they are reckless. Basically you're part of the 2%. For the other 98%... branding is a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.