News Asus Refreshes B450 Motherboards For Upcoming AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs

I'd not buy a B450 at the end of 2020 anyway.
I would. There are practically negligible gains to be had from PCIe 4.0 at this point anyhow, and PCIe 4.0 is the only REAL difference between those chipsets in the long run anyway. So far pretty much all testing indicates little to no gains from it in gaming with PCIe 4.0 capable graphics cards or in storage device testing either. It took years for PCIe 3.0 to make a difference, I don't expect it to be any different this time around.

I'd not buy a B450 at the end of 2020 anyway.
B550 is an odd chipset. It’s so darn close to X570 in features that it’s nearly the same price. As others have said there is virtually no gain from pcie 4.0 so the cheaper B450’s are a very compelling offer. I’ve seen reviews of B450 boards running 3950X’s as well as a X570 at stock settings. I doubt the majority of Ryzen users would loose anything by going with a high quality B450.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I would. There are practically negligible gains to be had from PCIe 4.0 at this point anyhow, and PCIe 4.0 is the only REAL difference between those chipsets in the long run anyway. So far pretty much all testing indicates little to no gains from it in gaming with PCIe 4.0 capable graphics cards or in storage device testing either. It took years for PCIe 3.0 to make a difference, I don't expect it to be any different this time around.

For some one who upgrades every 4 years PCIe 4.0 is a must today... even if the gains are little at the moment.

Why would something that offers no benefit be "a must"? I keep hearing that it's a "must" but so far I haven't seen a single shred of evidence or any suggestion of proof as to why that would be.

Is there some notation somewhere that says the next generation of Nvidia or AMD graphics cards after Navi and Ampere are going to contain architectural improvements that are positively believed to see gains from the more robust bus? Is there some article indicating that there is going to be a determined effort to revamp the APIs specifically to benefit combinations of PCIe 4.0 graphics cards? Is the next generation of motherboard chipsets KNOWN to be inclusive of multiple PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVME slots, unlike current chipsets that only support a single PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot per board? And when they do, will it even matter, since reviews don't show Gen4 storage blowing up any benchmarks really?

I mean, yeah, I'm sure at some point it will be beneficial, and when it is, it will make sense to want that on any board you choose. And when next I choose a board, maybe later this year, I probably will go with something that IS PCIe 4.0 capable, but it's not going to be BECAUSE of that, and there are certainly a LOT more people out there that won't see any significant benefit from a PCIe 4.0 capable chipset over one that has everything else that board has except for that, than there are people who will. And I imagine it is going to remain that way for a long time.

Even people with the top shelf flagship GX cards aren't going to see much from it, and those people are in the very, VERY small minority of consumers anyhow.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Why would something that offers no benefit be "a must"? I keep hearing that it's a "must" but so far I haven't seen a single shred of evidence or any suggestion of proof as to why that would be.

Is there some notation somewhere that says the next generation of Nvidia or AMD graphics cards after Navi and Ampere are going to contain architectural improvements that are positively believed to see gains from the more robust bus? Is there some article indicating that there is going to be a determined effort to revamp the APIs specifically to benefit combinations of PCIe 4.0 graphics cards? Is the next generation of motherboard chipsets KNOWN to be inclusive of multiple PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVME slots, unlike current chipsets that only support a single PCIe 4.0 M.2 slot per board? And when they do, will it even matter, since reviews don't show Gen4 storage blowing up any benchmarks really?

I mean, yeah, I'm sure at some point it will be beneficial, and when it is, it will make sense to want that on any board you choose. And when next I choose a board, maybe later this year, I probably will go with something that IS PCIe 4.0 capable, but it's not going to be BECAUSE of that, and there are certainly a LOT more people out there that won't see any significant benefit from a PCIe 4.0 capable chipset over one that has everything else that board has except for that, than there are people who will. And I imagine it is going to remain that way for a long time.

Even people with the top shelf flagship GX cards aren't going to see much from it, and those people are in the very, VERY small minority of consumers anyhow.

You are focusing in GPU only , GPU does not need Gen 4 , 16 lanes Gen 3 is still enough and not saturated .

Gen 4 PCIexpress are important for add on cards , LAN cards , Nvme cards (not m2 , CARDS) , future Wifi cards , USB 3.2 2x2 cards , thunderbolt cards , etc

You cant manufacture 10Gb/s cards using single lane on Gen3 but on Gen 4 it is possible. and in 4 years we might have 20/40/100Gb lan card as well whhich needs the bandwidth.

Nvme on Gen 4 within 4 years will improve and get cheaper as well .

More over , in entry level non HEDT motherboards , most of the slots are one lane only , and if it is Gen 4 lane this will allow many hardware options for the cheap ..

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
No, I'm not. I specifically called out storage devices, so obviously you are not even bothering to read the whole post before reacting to it. Which I don't think surprises anyone.

I did read it all . and I think it is you who are not getting my points . which surprises me.

when I said you are focusing on GPU i was right 85% of your post was about GPU. and the rest was about having multiple M2 slots , and today Gen 4 NVME speed.

you are focusing on one year interval , and I said from the beginning "for people who upgrade every 4 years"

I said that storage CARDS and not NVME M2 will appear soon and will need the more bandwidth . that is 4 lanes gen 4 cards will replace 8 lanes Gen3 SSD cards which is HUGE because 8 lanes slots are rare to find at entry level unlike 4 lanes slots.

and I said yes today nvme m2 in Gen4 are not big but within 4 years they will be. and will be cheaper and faster.

dont assume other people dont read it all if you cant see my points meanings.

Fair enough, however, it still doesn't explain why somebody buying a motherboard today would NEED to have a board with PCIe 4.0 if they upgrade every four years. In fact, it makes even LESS sense, because in four years there probably WILL be some benefit to having PCIe 4.0 because the device, OS and driver support will likely have caught up by then, at which time they can get a motherboard that is PCIe 4.0, or by then, likely 5.0 if indications are accurate, since they will be upgrading at that time anyhow based on your belief in a 4 year upgrade cycle.

Doesn't make sense to buy a board today, with features that won't benefit you for four years, if you are going to buy another board in four years, if you can buy one today without it that saves you money. Now, if there are OTHER features you need on a particular chipset, then it makes sense, or if you "just want it" then who is to say you shouldn't? Just saying, it also makes a lot of sense for a majority of people to NOT choose to go with a more expensive board when these B450 boards will already offer everything else for significantly less money.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
I would assume there are benefits to the B550 chipset over B450 and most informed buyers would prefer the B550 also i expect support for B550 to outlast B450, that alone would cause me to avoid B450 despite the nice specs these boards have.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I said that storage CARDS and not NVME M2 will appear soon and will need the more bandwidth . that is 4 lanes gen 4 cards will replace 8 lanes Gen3 SSD cards which is HUGE because 8 lanes slots are rare to find at entry level unlike 4 lanes slots.
The only SSD add in cards I've seen that are x8 are adapters that allow you to use multiple M.2 devices in a single slot. If you want to use multiple M.2 drives in a single slot you're still going to need a x8/x16 AIC adapter, regardless of whether it's PCIe 3.0 or 4.0.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at by specifying SSD add in cards rather than M.2 SSDs, or why PCIe 4.0 would matter more for the former than the latter.

Gen 4 PCIexpress are important for add on cards , LAN cards , Nvme cards (not m2 , CARDS) , future Wifi cards , USB 3.2 2x2 cards , thunderbolt cards , etc

You cant manufacture 10Gb/s cards using single lane on Gen3 but on Gen 4 it is possible. and in 4 years we might have 20/40/100Gb lan card as well whhich needs the bandwidth.
We're still a long way from saturating a PCIe 3.0 x1 interface with wifi (in actual achievable throughputs). I agree getting 10GbE adapter with a x1 slot could be handy, although I don't think any 10GbE PCIe 4.0 x1 cards are available yet. As far as >10GbE, I really don't see anyone having that on a mainstream PC in the next 4 years. Even 10Gbe is still rare and expensive compared to GbE.

A USB 3.2 2x2 card would require a x4 slot regardless of PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 if you want the full USB bandwidth. Same for Thunderbolt. Technically PCIe 3.0 x4 wouldn't give you the full 40 Gbps of TB3/4, but it's enough for any of the uses for TB3 that I'm aware of (e.g. providing an external PCIe x4 interface or Displayport). Haven't really seen many good use cases for TB on desktops though.

I have one on a mainstream PC, if you want to call my system a "mainstream PC".

Mellanox 10Gbe NIC card
Microtik 10Gbe switch
Qnap 9 bay 10Gbe NAS box

So, "somebody" has one, and I know there are others as well, but I certainly agree that it isn't a very common setup for a home user.