Asus Releases E45M1-M PRO with an AMD E-450 APU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It better be dirt cheap for the specs that I see up there! This stuff ain't for me at all,infact I think it's kind of a waste. You can buy other Asus micro motherboards & stick in your choice of a processor,ram & you'll be right.

[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]It better be dirt cheap for the specs that I see up there! This stuff ain't for me at all,infact I think it's kind of a waste. You can buy other Asus micro motherboards & stick in your choice of a processor,ram & you'll be right.[/citation]

I would hope so. It needs to compete with Atom and right now Atom is way cheaper than Bobcat, some setups start at $70 bucks.

But none the less, its a nice little setup and would be better than my current HTPC (Athlon X2 500)) apart from my GPU which is a HD5450.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
The AMD-E450 is a pretty killer chip for things using the microATX form factor (HTPC / shuttles).

@burnley14, Yes, it does not look like you are going to be able to get that heatsink off and replace the APU with a chip of your own.

Just a ramble, but tying the CPU to this board allows them to do some pretty extensive testing for just a single combination of cpu/mobo, possibly allowing better integration and cheaper costs. Kind of what like Apple does.

[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Possibly a stupid question, but is the APU part of the motherboard? That's really how this article makes it sound . . .[/citation]

Yes. In this case it is. Its like Atom, where its all in one mobo, CPU and GPU.

mATX? That's a fail call IMO. Llano lurks that form factor, making this thing either redundant or not needed AT ALL.

Sorry, Asus. You fail this time. Come back with an ITX and more features, then you'll get my "vote".

Cheers!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fyend[/nom]Should this be an E-355 .. it's barely faster than the E-350[/citation]Actually on the GPU front it is significantly more powerful than the E350. For an inexpensive, silent, low-power HTPC this thing is great, beats the stuffing out of an Atom solution. Now if you have lots of money to throw at an HTPC or don't mind a little noise, of course you can do better. It all depends on what you're looking for.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
@alextheblue: Well, I'm currently building a no holds barred HTPC using Core i5 2405S and a Z68 mobo. It does get expensive. I'm already over $1000, but this includes OS and peripherals (Gyration Air Mouse for $70 for example). And yes - Blu-Ray burner and an SSD are in there too... It doesn't currently include a discrete graphics card, but the Z68 with Virtu guarantees compatibility for a future upgrade.

TheQuestian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]The AMD-E450 is a pretty killer chip for things using the microATX form factor (HTPC / shuttles).[/citation]
There are even ITX boards with triple and quadruple the capability of this setup. A small form factor is no longer an excuse for poor performance, in my opinion.

tassietim

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
not to bad but I'm hanging out for the ASUS F1A75-I itx board to hit Australia to build up my killer htpc paired with a AMD A8 3850 Quad

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
ASRock should already have their socket FM1 ITX boards out already. They released in the EU before the US. Look for the ASRock A75M-ITX ($95 US). So if ASUS prices this setup over $200, they fail. You can get the ASRock ITX board, and a A6-3500 ($100 US) for just under $200. You can get the ASUS mATX reference board for $95 as well (same layout as the E45M1-M above).

venky403009

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I will stay with Atom+ION platform because it's combination of best&best.Zotac already has tightly packed feature full boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.