News Asus Releases Tiny GeForce RTX 3060 For SFF Systems

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With GPU dies of this size, probably not. RTX3060 has the same core count as a 1080Ti, plus RT and Tensor cores...Even if they shrink the process node and reduce power consumption, to make the next GPU to be 'faster' will take even more cores.

Also the concept of a single slot card is kind of taken over by integrated graphics. If you want that level of power you should be looking at laptops or NUCs for the space savings.

Galax was known to make some oddball single slot cards, they had a GTX1070? Inno3D as well.

Could probably do a true single slot GTX1650, though I don't recall seeing one. They have single slot brackets, but the cooler is usually 1.5-2 slots.

With GPU dies of this size, probably not. RTX3060 has the same core count as a 1080Ti, plus RT and Tensor cores...Even if they shrink the process node and reduce power consumption, to make the next GPU to be 'faster' will take even more cores.

Also the concept of a single slot card is kind of taken over by integrated graphics. If you want that level of power you should be looking at laptops or NUCs for the space savings.
And yet NVIDIA sells the Quadro RTX 4000, or basically an RTX 2070, in a single slot configuration. And while it doesn't perform as good as the RTX 2070 itself, I've no reason to believe the single slot concept is dead.

But otherwise sure, I'll agree that the demand for such cards isn't really there in the consumer market.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is an interesting point, never seen one in the wild though. And it comes with the problem of being full length which leaves it in an even weirder spot. Most chassis that support full length cards, going to have two slots.

It would make cramming them into a rack more effective, but a lot of rack GPUs don't come with fans.

Always liked the look of them though. One of the reasons I bought a reference 980 (Even though I eventually water cooled it). I hated the angled garbage they added for the 10 series and was more pleased with the 20 series. 30 series reference is also good, but not a fan of the metal color choice.

And yet NVIDIA sells the Quadro RTX 4000, or basically an RTX 2070, in a single slot configuration. And while it doesn't perform as good as the RTX 2070 itself, I've no reason to believe the single slot concept is dead.

But otherwise sure, I'll agree that the demand for such cards isn't really there in the consumer market.

All quadro's like laptop cards are built to lower clocks for stability and lower power consumption.

Unfortunately power density it making cooling chips a much harder affair.

All quadro's like laptop cards are built to lower clocks for stability and lower power consumption.

Unfortunately power density it making cooling chips a much harder affair.
I'm not expecting something like a single slot 3080 or even a 3070. And heck I wasn't expecting anything higher than 125W to begin with since the last video cards that came in a single slot configuration were about that high. But considering NVIDIA is selling a 160W video card in a single cooler configuration raises the bar at least.

Besides that, I don't believe video card makers slap on hefty coolers on lower end cards because they actually need that much cooling. They only do it because it's cheaper to design a single configuration, take advantage of economies of scale, and slap it on everything.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I expect this Asus card to be double Nvidia's MSRP and completely sold out, permanently.

What I wonder is if anyone will ever make a single slot video card again.
Most modern computers seem to be designed assuming the GPU takes up 2 slots. However, your comment does make me wonder about half-height/slim/low-profile GPUs. I'm kind of surprised those aren't more common.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GT1030, GTX1650, some of the RX550 models all come in half height configurations. Most are 1.5 slot coolers though. Which they might as well be dual slot. It fits most SFF cases anyway, which is all that matters.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
GT1030, GTX1650, some of the RX550 models all come in half height configurations. Most are 1.5 slot coolers though. Which they might as well be dual slot. It fits most SFF cases anyway, which is all that matters.
But not all, unfortunately (glares angrily at my former Dell Inspiron 3647 Small Desktop)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
On my wishlist for my itx system. I have to contact Aladdin first though.
53qkis.jpg

TRENDING THREADS