[SOLVED] Asus repeater RP-AC55 vs router as wifi receiver for desktop?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hi
I have an asus rt-ac86u router as the main repeater of my house, it's in the entrance, so too far from my room's desktop PC to plug an ethernet cable.
I have a tenda f300 router that I use as wifi receiver for my PC but it's 2.4g only, speed is limited to 30mb/s while my Samsung s21 ultra can get 125mb/s on 5g at the same spot.
Will an Asus rt-ac55 be capable to get 125mb/s to my desktop PC via ethernet cable?
Or I should get a wifi router?
In my country this repeater costs only 50$ while any router dual band and with gigabyte port is at least 100$

Solution
The RP-AC55 vs an internal PCIe wifi card aren't going to be much different in range or speed.

Now, if you bought another Asus AC86u, and put it into media bridge mode, that's a whole different story. In fact, that's the exact setup I had in my apartment. An AC86u for my main router, and an AC-86U set to Media Bridge Mode on my desk attached to my PC with an ethernet cord as well as my Xbox. The main reason for using it in Media Bridge mode instead of repeater mode, is that it's able to use all 4 antenna connections to connect to the 4 antennae of the main router. This actually gave me full gigabit speed from a wifi connection to the main router, it was great. https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043884/

In repeater mode, my...
Why don't you buy a actual wifi card for your pc. When you plug in a router via ethernet and use it as a wifi client it really isn't any different than using a USB cable to connect to a wifi nic card. It should be cheaper to buy a wifi usb nic card. Make sure you avoid those tiny USB units. Best ones to use already have USB extension cables and most have stands. Ones with external antenna tend to perform a bit better.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Why don't you buy a actual wifi card for your pc. When you plug in a router via ethernet and use it as a wifi client it really isn't any different than using a USB cable to connect to a wifi nic card. It should be cheaper to buy a wifi usb nic card. Make sure you avoid those tiny USB units. Best ones to use already have USB extension cables and most have stands. Ones with external antenna tend to perform a bit better.

You mean something like this? :TPLINK ArcherT4U

The RP-AC55 vs an internal PCIe wifi card aren't going to be much different in range or speed.

Now, if you bought another Asus AC86u, and put it into media bridge mode, that's a whole different story. In fact, that's the exact setup I had in my apartment. An AC86u for my main router, and an AC-86U set to Media Bridge Mode on my desk attached to my PC with an ethernet cord as well as my Xbox. The main reason for using it in Media Bridge mode instead of repeater mode, is that it's able to use all 4 antenna connections to connect to the 4 antennae of the main router. This actually gave me full gigabit speed from a wifi connection to the main router, it was great. https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043884/

In repeater mode, my speeds were split in half because it needed some of the wifi channels to act as an access point and the other channels to connect to the main router.

If you're looking at a USB stick wifi device, my experience is that they're fine for normal people that just want to surf the web and watch Netflix. But lack in bandwidth and you may not get the full potential out of your internet service with large downloads.

Solution

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016

In repeater mode, my speeds were split in half because it needed some of the wifi channels to act as an access point and the other channels to connect to the main router.

If you're looking at a USB stick wifi device, my experience is that they're fine for normal people that just want to surf the web and watch Netflix. But lack in bandwidth and you may not get the full potential out of your internet service with large downloads.

So it's better to get a router or a repeater can be also good?
I never tried a repeater as wifi receiver for my PC
Btw the function of repeater is something I also need, be it a router as repeater or a repeater as of course repeater and in the same time wifi receiver for my PC

How fast is your internet plan?

If you need a repeater, I would get one with as many radio's as possible. The Asus AC86u has a 4x4 radio on the 5 ghz band. So it'll probably use 2 for it's access point and 2 for a client bridge to the main router(not sure on that though and can't test it because I gave one away after I switched to all Ubiquiti equipment). It has 3 external antennae and 1 internal antenna in case you were wondering.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
How fast is your internet plan?

If you need a repeater, I would get one with as many radio's as possible. The Asus AC86u has a 4x4 radio on the 5 ghz band. So it'll probably use 2 for it's access point and 2 for a client bridge to the main router(not sure on that though and can't test it because I gave one away after I switched to all Ubiquiti equipment). It has 3 external antennae and 1 internal antenna in case you were wondering.

It's a fiber connection which is supposed to go up to 300mb/s, but I never saw it more than 150mb/s

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016

I got a AC66u b1 today, I tried to turn it as repeater taking the connection from the AC86u which is also in repeater, unfortunately internet couldn't arrive to the ac66u!
What I am missing?