News Asus Reportedly Working On AMD X590 and X599 Motherboards

bill@micros0ft

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Hi JimmySmitty,
I see X570 boards here in europe for sub 200 EUR incl. 21% VAT? Doesn't mean because there are 800 USD boards that you need to buy one. Most of the time they contain lots of features that a great many people don't need or never use anyway. Granted, X590/X599 boards will likely be more expensive than X570 for comparably equipped counterparts. Doesn't mean you need such an expensive board... Personally, I'd only pay that for a very high end server or workstation dual cpu socket (or up) board.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Hi JimmySmitty,
I see X570 boards here in europe for sub 200 EUR incl. 21% VAT? Doesn't mean because there are 800 USD boards that you need to buy one. Most of the time they contain lots of features that a great many people don't need or never use anyway. Granted, X590/X599 boards will likely be more expensive than X570 for comparably equipped counterparts. Doesn't mean you need such an expensive board... Personally, I'd only pay that for a very high end server or workstation dual cpu socket (or up) board.

Thats kind of my point. Vendors pushing a $800 dollar board into the mainstream is ridiculous and with a "higher end" chipset they will just have a reason to charge near $1000. If people buy it then it will show they can slowly up pricing in mainstream.

svan71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If some manufactuer wants to make a 1K board and some people want to buy it what exactly is the problem? There are Corvettes and there are Chevettes, nobody is doing anything wrong and nobody said anything about forcing you to buy it. There are Rzen 3950's and Ryzen 2200G nobody is complaining.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
If some manufactuer wants to make a 1K board and some people want to buy it what exactly is the problem? There are Corvettes and there are Chevettes, nobody is doing anything wrong and nobody said anything about forcing you to buy it. There are Rzen 3950's and Ryzen 2200G nobody is complaining.

The only problem I have is it will eventually raise the bottom end pricing. $1K has its place, in HEDT and multi CPU systems. But mainstream should never have products that match HEDT pricing.

Who in their right mind would pay $1K for a mainstream board when they could get a HEDT product for that or less with a better CPU, more memory channels and most of the same features.

I have no problem with $1K. I just think its not the place for mainstream to be so expensive.

nathanmmnm

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
Sure some people want the max of everything (max cpu performance, max number of PCIE lanes, lots of internal and external expansion potential etc etc), however, this misses the point that most people don't use all the features they have i.e. if you play games you probably don't need the same IO as a content creation based user while you can both benefit from raw power.

The issue with focusing on features is that people end up being sold something they wont use and at a high price, which in turn means less money spent on other hardware (instead of dropping $1k on a mainboard you could drop $250 and then spend $750 on an awesome monitor upgrade or VR or whatever).

I am bias here as I have been holding off upgrading for years, my i7 920 has been clocked at 4GHz for many years and is only now appearing underpowered, a 16 core Ryzen 3000 would be a phenomenal upgrade although I can only realistically get around a factor of two in memory bandwidth unless I wait for threadripper 3. Personally I want raw power more than "features" (I play games but multiple instances of the same game at the same time).

Other than "people with money to burn" who are these $1k boards aimed at?

Sure some people want the max of everything (max cpu performance, max number of PCIE lanes, lots of internal and external expansion potential etc etc), however, this misses the point that most people don't use all the features they have i.e. if you play games you probably don't need the same IO as a content creation based user while you can both benefit from raw power.

The issue with focusing on features is that people end up being sold something they wont use and at a high price, which in turn means less money spent on other hardware (instead of dropping $1k on a mainboard you could drop $250 and then spend $750 on an awesome monitor upgrade or VR or whatever).

I am bias here as I have been holding off upgrading for years, my i7 920 has been clocked at 4GHz for many years and is only now appearing underpowered, a 16 core Ryzen 3000 would be a phenomenal upgrade although I can only realistically get around a factor of two in memory bandwidth unless I wait for threadripper 3. Personally I want raw power more than "features" (I play games but multiple instances of the same game at the same time).

Other than "people with money to burn" who are these $1k boards aimed at?

Just money to burn people.

And if you want more memory bandwidth you would have to go HEDT. Mainstream memory bandwidth is not yet double what Nehalem HEDT was.