ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces New Strix Gaming Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to wonder why they didn't go with a 1050 ti or at least offer other GPU options. It's got solid specs otherwise, and competitive pricing particularly considering IPS screens. The 1050 is the big sticking point.

Interesting considering that my laptop with a i5-6300q and a 1060 3gb cost $1,249 (though I got it on Black Friday for $799, it's regular price is much cheaper now that Kaby is out)

I learned a while ago that in most laptops, the GPU becomes a bottleneck long before the CPU (assuming you're not buying a low end laptop). I'm sure the 1060 in my laptop will struggle long before the i5 becomes a limiting factor.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I realize that the design and manufacturing of these things takes quite a long time, so by the time they got to the point of no return on this laptop they probably did not yet know that they would be launching this when Intel was just a month or two away from releasing the 8th gen processors, but I feel like we are already in the window where most computer buyers would prefer to wait for it. Sort of a doomed product.

sreeraj.mankada

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
What's the difference between This one and the 553vd?? The hybrid drive?? or that slower HDD??? Is that a big change??? idk...

Welcome to the world of dropping big coin a gaming laptop to watch it rapidly decline. About what I spent in 2006 on my 17" 1980x1200 Dell E1705 Inspiron with a 256MB GeForce Go 7800 GPU. It would have been over $2,000 without a big promo code discount. It lasted not even two years before falling behind in new games. No way to upgrade the chip or GPU, only the memory. I wanted a desktop replacement and portable outlet for gaming. It failed me. Never again. After that, it was back to desktops for gaming and consoles for portable gaming.

In 2008 I bought an Inspiron 1720 for about $1800 with a GTX 8600M 256mb GPU and a C2D T7500. The CPU became an issue before the GPU did, but new games struggled, almost from the start. I was able to Upgrade the CPU to a T9500, which was nice, but that 8600m was a dog. However, my nephew still uses the laptop to this day, but mostly just for web browsing and older games. Runs pretty good for a 9 year old laptop with Windows 10, 4gb RAM and the CPU and GPU mentioned above.

DouglasThurman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
These are all just Clevo chassis. My Eluktronics Clevo clone is still kicking butt. i7-6700HQ, GTX980m 8GB, 40GB RAM, 4x 480GB SSD in RAID0. I'm surprised people don't just buy Clevo.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I would have liked to see a 1050ti on here also. I feel like $1300 is too much to pay for so little gaming performance. I bet when this laptop reaches Amazon and Newegg, it will probably come discounted from ASUS's prices are. Even so, I don't want a laptop that struggles to run Overwatch at high settings.

darth_adversor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I agree that the price is too high for a non-ti 1050, but the 1050 doesn't struggle to play Overwatch at high settings. At 1080p, you should be able to bump a couple of settings to ultra, and still maintain 60fps.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Wow, some unhappy folks with the 1050. In my opinion, backed up by facts, it makes more sense to use the 1050 in a laptop in this range. Now, before you go nuclear, consider the reasons why. To begin with, the 1050 is pretty good at games. You can play almost every new game at 1080p with med to high settings, and in older games ultra won't be a problem. You don't need more power because the screen is only 1080p. A more powerful graphics card will suck more battery, reducing the amount of time you can play unplugged, or even do mundane things like watch movies or browse the interwebz. Finally, in saving money on the graphics card you can invest in faster storage solutions like the SSHD or SSD which will improve the speed of the entire system. Faster boots and faster load times are usually much more perceptible than 10 fps when you are already pushing 40 or 50fps.

Nobody is saying the 1050 is a bad card. But when you're talking about a $1100-1300 gaming laptop, an extra $50-100 for a ti version shouldn't even be a question. The two cards have very similar power requirements, in fact it they may very well be identical at the same clockspeed if the 1050's disabled silicon still draws power. Reviews of 1050's OC'd to 1050 ti levels show pretty much the same power consumption. That may not hold 100% for laptop versions, but it should still be very close.

And if you look at the models listed, all of them already include an SSHD or SSD.

g-unit1111

Titan
I get that these are gaming specific laptops. But one reason I will never buy Asus laptops is the ugly WASD keys and that those are the only ones highlighted or get backlit. If I'm paying that kind of money for a laptop, the full keyboard better be backlit, not just the gaming or WASD / arrow keys.

darth_adversor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I'm happy with my 1050 (4GB, non-ti) *for the price I paid.* I have a Dell Inspiron 15 with the 7700HQ, paid $799 + $50 to upgrade to 16GB RAM. It has a TN panel, 1x1 network card, and no USB 3.1 and/or type C, so I could understand paying a small premium for the Asus, but $1,100 is overpriced, in my opinion. $1,100 with the ti variant would be much more reasonable.

It must depend on the model, my ASUS FX502VM has a fully back-lit keyboard. My only gripe is I can't change the color, it has a red light. I have to agree with the laptops with the orange WASD keys, not sure what they were thinking, but I avoided the models with those.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's why I went with MSI over Asus - full backlit and customizable lighting.

William Henrickson

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
The whole keyboard is backlit, but sometime soon I will try to get the regular keycaps from the refresh model and swap out the WASD. At the time it was a great buy for something I needed to lug around in a backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.