Asus Republic of Gamers G-Sync Monitor Arrives in August

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, AMD rocks for being fully open... cough... Mantle... cough..

That aside, I don't think people get that somebody had to shell out the bucks to make G-Sync work. NVidia stepped up so rather than hate them maybe we should be thankful it's even an option.

I'm not sure what "PROPRIETARY PROBLEMS" Nvidia has that companies "lean away from them" because I see no such information. Aside from PhysX which isn't forced on anybody what are you talking about?

OPENGL better on AMD?
And where are you getting this information because every article I've read says NVIDIA is better. Here's just a sample:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_january14_compare&num=1 (Linux)
more Linux: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/amds-opengl-performance-is-nothing-close-to-nvidia-on-this-benchmark.3806
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?11937-John-Carmack-Nvidia-s-OpenGL-extensions-rival-AMD-Mantle (NVidia OpenGL vs AMD Mantle).

As for AMD supposedly being better for "easier development" compared to NVidia I just couldn't find anything to back that up.

Finally, you state an open standard will be able to be adopted much faster. That's not always true either. Often somebody has to put up some cash to make it happen and they want a return on that so it becomes proprietary at least for a while. The alternative is maybe it doesn't happen at all. So it's not really that simple and you can't just say things because you want them to be true.

To my mind making projections about the effect of AMDs "announced" technologies must include an analysis of the market. AMD is continuing it's cash bleed out with a 2nd quarter which again gushered red ink.

The ole "not many games use PhysX" argument is akin to "not many days do I turn on my car's air conditioner". But given the choice between two comparable cars, one with and one without for the same price ..... not many will turn down the free AC and it sure makes a helluva difference when a hot day comes along and you have the need / opportunity to use it. Now with G-Sync, CUDA, Shadowplay and PhysX lining up against Mantle (whose star has already faded) and FreeSync (not measuring up to G-Sync), and Open CL, the feature gap is continues to grow.

Clearly, these "announcements" are not enough. AMD's financial fortunes have been sliding for a while now .... at this point they don't have a single DX11 GFX card in the Top Ten, just 4 in the top 20. ANvidias market share (52%) has risen slightly over the last 18 months, Intel's (18%) has increased dramatically.... both fortunes have come at AMD's (30%) expense. Power, temperatures, features, overclocking headroom, performance..... you can't have your top tier card come in 2nd in all 5 of those categories and convince loyalists to switch sides. Clearly the price difference is not having an impact as Nvidia has sold just about as many (0.43%) of current cards in use) of their $700 780 Ti GFX cars as all AMD R9 cards (0.44%)combined. We have all gotta root for AMD to change their fortunes and get back in the game because the more the sales gap widens, the more the GFX card buying community will be plagued by higher prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.