Asus Republic Of Gamers Matrix GTX 980 Ti Platinum: More Details Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took them long enough... I would think that most of the people who were looking to get a 980ti would have one by now.
You would think. With a niche product like this, they know that they will not sell as many. I am sure the markup will be enough to cover waiting.

You will always have users who want the top end so this will also sell to those users.

astonerii

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
Getting the money out of those who are willing to pay it.
Release a better but lower level card first. People pay the premium to get the newest best card. Upgrade it slightly, a few of those people upgrade again. Upgrade it again. A few of those get the new upgrade. Put some sparklies on it, and yet again, the same group that has been giving you their money splurge again.
It goes along the lines of maximizing profits without leaving the little guy out in the cold. the little guy can pick up the one he can afford. The rich guys keep replacing at a premium and reselling their old stuff for less. Giving little guys a chance at a lower cost upgrade.
Here it is the reverse of the economics class I was in. Where they make a car for sale, and they sell the first one to the person who wants it most for a million dollars. The second one to the person who wants it next most for 900,000 ... until they have sold every car that anyone wanted.

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
The problem with binning like this is that you're reducing the quality of the standard GTX 980 ti card. So on average, the cards will overclock less.

astonerii,
I don't follow your "economics" logic at all. The GTX980Ti released a while ago, so it's actually taken a while for this premium project to appear.

And how is anybody being left "out in the cold"? We have graphics cards at every level. Plus, these are very high-end graphics cards so the entire discussion is rather pointless.

By your car analogy it's like you're asking Ferrari to produce a car that "only" costs $180,000 for the poor people who can't afford the similar $220,000 model.

(And they don't sell cards one at a time like in your car analogy so... whatever. I just can't follow your post at all.)

astonerii

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
They sell GTX 970s, GTX 960s and GTX 950s, so lower income, or lower spending people can get a better card than their old one.
The logic of this latest premium card is that They probably sold a stock GTX 980to a bunch of people, who wanted latest and greatest, knowing better cards would come out shortly. They got the premium dollars from those people for the weakest of the pretties. Then they came out with overclocked versions, and sold cards to many of the same people, who turned around and dumped those cards on craigslist or Ebay, along with some people who waited for the better deal of the overclock. Later we saw some water blocked cards, and again, the same process happened. Then the 980ti came out, similar process. 980ti overclocks... 980ti water cooled... With this process they maximize income and sales. While they were doing this process of scaling the power up for the top end, they were also scaling down. By only offering the 980 and 970 at first, they got many people to spend a bit more for a higher end card than if they released the 960 and 950 versions at the same time. They got the maximum amount of money from their customers, and then they offered a lesser cost version which got more people to jump in and buy a card. Then again, they release yet a lower end card, but one that is better than the older cards to get even more customers to jump in and spend.

Not really. The Asus ROG GTX 980Ti Strix is $689 on Newegg, $60 bucks more than some others, which is not too bad and it has the 10mm heatpipes.

Looking at the design, I don't think this will perform as well as the Strix which has a larger heatsink and 3 fans vs 2. As well it has the same 14 phase design and seems to be able to push to over 1300MHz base core easily.

astonerii

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006

Sounds like a plan to me. I had a 570GTX that I RMAd and got a GTX 960 as a replacement. I do want to upgrade however. The GTX 960 would then go to my wife's build.

My current build is old school, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, W3680 6 core @4000, 48GB of DDR3 that is running a little over the 1333 and a 960 GB Sandisk SSD. It seems to have enough horsepower to keep me happy for maybe another two to three years.

vajoiner

Reputable
May 18, 2014
imo thiese cards have the damn ugliest covers of any card. im a rog fan, have been buying genes forever, but i had to go with evga and their plain jane looking nvidia cards this time around. rogs are just too much

Status
Not open for further replies.