Asus Republic Of Gamers Maximus VIII Extreme, Its Flagship Z170 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bibbit

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
It seems that for the Z170 boards nobody is bundling WiFi/Bluetooth. I'd really like to see that as part of the bundle for a board like this. The WiFi/Bluetooth in my Asus Z87 board works great. Rather than use the Asus provided solution I made my own using the latest Intel card. It works great, and I like being able to use Bluetooth headphones when listening to music.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
maybe im wrong... but people willing to shell out that kind of money on a motherboard generally are not using wifi. seems like a good idea to leave it out to me

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I was reading along, nodding and generally saying to myself, "yup, mmhmm, sure, nice, alright" and assuming I was about to see a price of at least $250, maybe even $300+. $500? Yeah no thanks.

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Added wifi would be a waste of money. It's already expensive, and if you want wifi/bluetooth, there are plenty of options you can buy and install if you wanted.No reason to make this more expensive for the majority of people who wouldn't use it.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I was reading along, nodding and generally saying to myself, "yup, mmhmm, sure, nice, alright" and assuming I was about to see a price of at least $250, maybe even $300+. $500? Yeah no thanks.

Haha. With such a smug comment I would expect you would know what you are talking about, but you obviously don't know the high end motherboard market at all. The fact that you thought this board would be $250-300 or so says everything. No way in hell a new fully-featured Skylake board like this would be in the $250-300 price range...EVER. I was thinking $400-450, but can understand with the Skylake support and everything else why it is $500 (should def include WiFi though). Too much for me to want to spend, but the price isn't crazy out of line with the feature set.

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Nice job Asus ! Looking forward to that Thunderbolt 3 flowing down to some of the lower tier boards by the end of the year or early 2016.

Lutfij

Titan
The price point for this board seems a little rich for a mainstream platform but the sort of features it has onboard all make it worth every money spent. You could probably get a decent board from the lower tiers but then again you're dropping out on the robust build quality of an ROG board.

Wifi support should best be handled via a dongle and if bundling an add on card then the itx ranges would see benefit due to proper distribution of PCIe lanes.

^ Could be wrong on that one though :)

Haloaddict44

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Simply put, no. Looking back, the Maximus VI Extreme came with ac WiFi and Bluetooth built in, along with a PLX chip so you could actually run up to 4-Way SLI (Not that it's practical). And to top it off, it was only $400. If I'm to spend $500 on a motherboard, it's gonna be Gigabyte's G170X this time around. Sorry ASUS, Gigabyte actually added features.

lothar863

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
Up to 1300Mbps transfer speed

Check the specs on a site like newegg.

n7plus1

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
So, no Formula this time around then or what? I've been waiting for that release but I have a feeling I'm going to be waiting forever otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.