Asus Reveals Four New AMD AM4 Motherboards For Ryzen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still using a i5 760 @ 3.4GHz (4.0 Ghz Turbo) with 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. This system seriously dates from 2010(!). I'd be more than happy to replace it with a Ryzen, but AMD has to make it compelling.

I can understand that the lower end board have PCIe 2.0 slots but on a high end board all expansion slots should be PCIe 3.0. Also the fact that almost all (from what we have seen so far) the new AMD boards seem to have only 1 M2 slot feels somewhat strange and makes this new platform not as future proof as it should or could be.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Given rumors that AM4 has a max of 24 PCIe lanes, the x16 slots must either drop to x8 (or less), or there's a PCIe switch onboard. Which is it? For $255, I'm hoping #2.

How about some details I can't just get from the Newegg product listing?

hurnii

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Likely reason for only 1 M2 Slot:
Given 2 slots, we'd expect bootable, chipset based RAID (at least 0/1).
If the chipset doesn't have the bandwidth for 2x 4 lane PCI 3.0 NVMe M.2 SSDs, or if the BIOS/UEFI NVMe RAID boot support isn't ready, then a single M.2 slot would be preferable to the embarrassment of of releasing crippled twin M.2 slots.
After all, we're going to need a reason to buy a new motherboard next year.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Hey guys, i'm using 2 x M.2 here. Usually one slot supports pcie (ULTRA M.2) and the other supports sata (M.2), when talking about the lower end Intel models (B250 chipset). I expect the Asrock B350 models to be the same. Buy Asrock if you want 2 m.2 slots, it has nothing to do with the chipset or the cpu, it is the motherboard maker's choice, however. H270 boards support 2 x ULTRA m.2.

AM4 has more lanes than Intel Z270, so stop speculating incorrectly.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Some more info was posted by asrock, it appears Ryzen (non apu versions) required for full m.2 x 2 support. Also one Sata port or one pci x4 slot on the motheboard can be disabled depending on what is installed. Honestly just get the 2 slot one, use a 960 evo and 850 evo (what I do) or get a card for one of your pci slots to mount multiple.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Why do they even bother with 3 or 4 slots for PCI-E 16x? There are very few people that will actually have a need for that and they are usually not in this category of mother board users ...

Most people have dropped SLI/CF anyway...

Also i don`t see people complaining about any Z270 motherboard that only has 16 PCI-E lanes, why is everybody crying about AMD having "only" 24 ?

G

If you think that by replacing your 59xx series Intel processor or 68xx Intel processor by Ryzen you are getting a killer, sorry you do not. But what you are getting is better deal assuming you sell your Intel parts.

G

I just want to know if those two PCI3.0 16x slots will run at full 16x speed when SLI/Crossfire enabled?

G

Sorry i run SLI 1080 along with Xeon 10/20 3.5Ghz and i need it for other stuff as well. That's why i picked x99 motherboard. Not that i am planning to replace my system with Ryzen since this $350 Xeon beats the crap out of Ryzen in multicore work.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Since when? What specific Xeon processor do you have? Do you have any benchmarks to back up your claim? 1800X with 8c/16t is made for multicore work, and theres not a single current model Xeon processor going for $350 that has anywhere near that. So you have an older one you got used? That would have lower IPC, so no, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.