Asus Reveals Limited Edition Ares III Card, G-SYNC Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good question. Does make you wonder why they'd call it a 'Turbo' button. Does this mean we're overdriving the normal panel refresh rate with no guarantees of operating 100% of the time at 120 or 144Hz like those 2560x1440 "120Hz" IPS panels already out?

CraigN

Distinguished

Good question. Does make you wonder why they'd call it a 'Turbo' button. Does this mean we're overdriving the normal panel refresh rate with no guarantees of operating 100% of the time at 120 or 144Hz like those 2560x1440 "120Hz" IPS panels already out?

Should be more than good enough to run 144Hz all the time. Likely they're calling it that for Marketing reasons.

The nice part about being able to hot-switch the Refresh rate would be for using ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur, aka LightBoost) or 3D Vision (have to be at 120Hz for this) without having to go into the control panel. Also, some people may want to lock their framerate (GSync sets the Framerate cap based on your refresh rate) at 60 Hz for recording purposes perhaps, so this is also handy to have for that reason.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Why would you ever run that monitor at something other than 144Hz?
Marketing? Or for the same reason my original PC's had a Turbo button to go from 8Mhz to 12Mhz or whatever it was? Of course, back then, occasionally to play some of the CGA games, you had to slow down the system otherwise the on-screen action was too fast to control. Ahhh, the good ol' days!
Maybe there's some technical reason, such as those alluded to above. Kinda like how some LCD projectors have a "Bright" mode which makes the picture better, but reduces bulb life. Same principal in the monitor somehow (but not related to the bulb)? Dunno...

CraigN

Distinguished
Also - some games (Skyrim, I'm looking at you) misbehave horribly when run over 60 FPS. Since the monitor is G-sync enabled, if you're running on GSYNC and want to lock your FPS to 60 fps to keep those games from bugging out, it's a quick switch to do that instead of having to go into NVIDIA Control Panel, switch to 60 Hz, apply, screen flicker, say yes, etc.

It's just a quick-switch feature for convenience with a marketing name thrown on top of it.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Does anyone else find it ironic that they're showcasing an AMD card, with a NVIDIA powered display? Not that they don't work well together, but still.

Running at a lower refresh rate reduces power consumption and also leads to lower GPU temperatures. It's very useful for people living in countries where the room temperature hits 40 degrees Celsius like me

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Does anyone else find it ironic that they're showcasing an AMD card, with a NVIDIA powered display? Not that they don't work well together, but still.

I had a good LOL about that too. The irony of it was worth a mention

yogalD

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Why would you ever run that monitor at something other than 144Hz?
If you can't reach 144fps in-game... if you use the backlight strobing (aka lightboost) but your frame rate is lower than refresh rate you'll get the double image effect. And if you're not using lightboost then that's a bit of a waste...

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

I think that's a little out of my price range for a QHD. If I was willing to spend that much, I would simply wait a year for 4ks to drop to that level. Still, this seems like a very good gaming monitor.

CraigN

Distinguished
The VG278HE is a $400 monitor with a 6-bit TN Panel, 2ms response time, and 144 Hz with 3D.

The PG278QE has a better 8-bit TN Panel, 1 ms response time, 144 Hz with 3D at 1440p, and +$200 for the GSYNC module.
So take that $400 monitor, add +$200 for GSYNC, +$200 for a better quality panel with higher resolution AND faster response time... not to mention ROG branding and styling...easily runs up to $800.

If you want to buy a cheap Korean 1440p panel and overclock it go for it. But for all of those features? It's the only monitor in the market with all of them.

The cheap Korean panels also give you junk for contrast. This is definitely not good for gaming when your enemies are hiding in shadows and all your monitor shows you is a dark gray or black blob. The best example I saw of this lack of contrast was when I tried one of the 1440p korean panels and could no longer easily see enemies in the containers by the Kharg Island warehouse in BF3. This was compared to my trusty 120Hz Acer HN274H 1080p I still use today by which I don't miss a beat.

IPS monitors are made for photography/video/print/graphic design because of resolution, color accuracy and viewing angles. Only really good IPS monitors have really good contrast which is also necessary when working with print and other production. You also pay a much higher cost for those IPS monitors really worth purchasing for their intended purposes. In general, slower response times (increasing blur) and inherent input lag make these less desirable for gaming. Add to that the poor contrast on the sub-$800 models and it's a tough sell for a gaming monitor let alone the 60Hz limit which leads to increased perceivable tearing or if using v-sync, even more input lag.

This is what is really going to set these G-sync monitors apart. They will give us the resolution only the IPS monitors have had for years while giving us all of the gaming benefits of the high refresh rate TN monitor plus no tearing.

CraigN

Distinguished

Fully agree with you there. Not sure if you were supporting my argument or thinking I was seriously suggesting a korean panel, but after owning GSYNC on my VG248QE, I'm a believer in the tech, and will absolutely be throwing down for one of these monitors.

If it would ever release, that is. I heard rumblings on the ROG forums that the US shipment may be delayed to August.

heydan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Do you guys are able to run 144fps on 2560x1440? are you using the 880 SLI or the R9 390x CF? why you guys so exited I don´t think with the actual hardware you can´t run those pixels at that refresh rate

No, but the monitor has G-Sync. That means it doesn't matter if you can't get all the way up to 144fps with it right now, you can run it at what your computer can do, and it will run beautifully. Then in the future, you can upgrade your computer and make full use of the monitor.

Astrix_au

Honorable
May 4, 2014
Do you guys are able to run 144fps on 2560x1440? are you using the 880 SLI or the R9 390x CF? why you guys so exited I don´t think with the actual hardware you can´t run those pixels at that refresh rate
I run 2x 290x on BF4 running Ultra at 135% resolution on my 120hz Samsung SA950D monitor. Using Mantle my FPS is 140-160 FPS that's 1440P internal resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.