Asus Reveals Monitor Dock to Turn Padfone into AIO PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

el33t

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]tbh, there needs to be an open standard for this so that it can interchange between different companies that use this tech[/citation]

LoL...there is nothing innovative about this... Just a video output cable running from the padfone to a 24" fullhd monitor and few tweaking here and there allowing other basic stuff like keyboard/mouse/usb/dvi etc etc.... This will never survive for long..

Jesus this thing docks into a tablet, that docks into a keyboard dock, or it can just dock into a monitor. Sure it's cool but buying all the docks for this thing is crazy. I can see it being useful to businesses though since you can simply take your workstation with you (the phone) for use on the go. Might be a good option for the professional that travels a lot and doesn't need more computing power.

cmg5217

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]el33t[/nom]Meh.... this will never replace my dedicated desktop or laptop[/citation]

I agree with you for my personal needs. However, I can also see how this could fulfill the needs of the average user quite well.

G

This is taking longer than I expected. This is the future. At some point, you figure you'll have your phone and docking stations for it at work and at home. It makes perfect sense. With a better version of this, running a better version of Android or Windows 8, all you need is your phone. Then you can use it as a tablet with the tablet dock, or you can use it as a desktop/laptop, with a different dock.

[citation][nom]el33t[/nom]Meh.... this will never replace my dedicated desktop or laptop[/citation]
This particular product may not, but I could see a smartphone in 2-3 years being able to replace a desktop for most of the people out there... even being able to do basic video editing and other content creation.
ive the dock a real GPU and a system like this could even do games in a few years.

plekter

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
The idea is good and in few years, something like that could potentially replace atleast some of the peoples traditional PCs.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]el33t[/nom]LoL...there is nothing innovative about this... Just a video output cable running from the padfone to a 24" fullhd monitor and few tweaking here and there allowing other basic stuff like keyboard/mouse/usb/dvi etc etc.... This will never survive for long..[/citation]
hmmm i think asus is on to something. phones now days are as powerful a computer (it'll kick some butts over p2/p3 and the first athlons).
can you imagine if you could carry your pc around in your pocket and just plug it in at any terminal with any phone where ever you need it? i basically see these base stations as the new payphones from the 50's til the 90's before cell phones were affordable and took off.
different IP&/different firewall because you're at a different location, different OS (if every phone can dock with this system), makes it even harder for uncle same and hackers to bother you (unless click something or you d/l something or get picked up by law enforcement of a country or a virus/trojan that has to report back when it can to expose your info)
eventually our pc's are going to be this size and even smaller some day. ridiculous you say, back in the 50's how big were computers? and 30 years later in the 80's? laptops in the 90's? 30 years later 2010's i think we are due for a pc shrink.

fyi don't ask if it'll play, cuz right now, no, it won't. in a few years, yes, yes it will play it, but you'll already be playing #3 or 1313

spoonerweb

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I bought a padfone and took it to the States with me. While there, I wanted to connect the phone to a TV using the micro-HDMI out on the phone. Apparently ASUS has locked the port to only use their devices or docks.

Status
Not open for further replies.