Question Asus ROG 1000w 7 pin vs 8 pin

Oct 29, 2022
Hello

I've got myself a Rx 6950 xt and Asus ROG Strix 1000g but I have a problem with connecting cables to graphic card.

So I connected 2x Pcie to my card and I noticed that max power take is capped at 285. With my previous power supply it was 330w.

After checking out cables I found out that there are two types of Pcie connectors. One is called NE48(7 pins) and it has 1 empty space while NE47 has all filled up (8pins) (the one called PSU and ending with PCI-E).

The problem is also that I don't have two NE47 but only 1 so I can't connect two 8pins(?) to the card and I'm left with two NE48.

At this point I don't want to destroy anything so is it ok to connect two 7 pins to the card or should I just use one cable NE47 and connect 2 slots on card with 1 cable?

This 2 goes to the power supply:
PknDaNi.jpg

ydN2sHw.jpg

One has a hole.

Edit.: After connecting 2 with a 7 pins my card is sitll using max of 285w...

Thanks for an answer

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022
Ok So I connected previous power supply and right now my graphic card doesn't go above 1v.

tP62LlL.png

This is 100% usage. At this point I'm not sure if I broke something but I'm sure I've seen 330 W usage when playing Warzone... Currently max is 284. Maybe I'm wrong and it was never 330. At this point I don't know.

Edit. Ok.I think I'm dense. Maybe I was playing on overclock GPU set in AMD Adrenaline. But still don't know the difference between those 2 cables.

Last edited: