Review Asus ROG Ally Z1 Extreme Review: Lighter and Brighter

They're really pissed about the charging issue, otherwise I can't see why this is 3.5 stars.
Besides the battery issue? Different performance on battery versus plugged in, no carrying case included, weak battery life, and a generally worse software and ergonomic experience. We gave the Steam Deck four stars. Is this better than the Steam Deck? In some ways, but it's also worse in plenty of areas.

To be clear, the 3.5-star score is assuming the battery charging issue was a fluke and won't affect a bunch of units. If that proves incorrect, we would drop the score, rather than increasing it if the issue is solved. We're giving Asus the benefit of the doubt, in other words.

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Call me crazy but I see Windows 11 as a negative compared to SteamOS.
Why would I want a bloated ad ridden piece of spyware not designed for the use case at hand?
I think this is the biggest issue that is holding the Ally back in terms of performance. And Armoury Crate is a complete CPU blood sucking disaster for the PC.

Now if someone could get the steam OS running on the Ally.....

user7007

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
I thought the article seemed pretty fair tbh. If the controller sticks/dpad/buttons/etc aren't amazing that's a serious issue. And if it's not clear how to replace the controller parts that will definitely break or wear out eventually that's also an issue. If the battery life is weak (~2 hours) that may or may not be an issue but you have to know that going into it. I don't mind better performance while plugged in, if you're in a vehicle (eg road trip), or sitting on the couch it could be people do that alot.
It sounds pretty good to me still, and it would have been great to see how the less expensive model performs, but I'd personally pass if I didn't think the controller buttons and sticks felt great.

user7007

Commendable
Mar 9, 2022
I thought the article seemed pretty fair tbh. If the controller sticks/dpad/buttons/etc aren't amazing that's a serious issue. And if it's not clear how to replace the controller parts that will definitely break or wear out eventually that's also an issue. If the battery life is weak (~2 hours) that may or may not be an issue but you have to know that going into it. I don't mind better performance while plugged in, if you're in a vehicle (eg road trip), or sitting on the couch it could be people do that alot.
It sounds pretty good to me still, and it would have been great to see how the less expensive model performs, but I'd personally pass if I didn't think the controller buttons and sticks felt great.
also just thinking about windows updates on a handheld. shudder.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
I pre-ordered one this morning. I have read several reviews. I am kind of on the fence on this. Sticky Buttons and dicey charging are Red Flags to me. I got hosed on the Samsung Note 7 battery/charging issue. I will keep reading reviews. I might cancel the order over the next few weeks. But most likely I will just wait till it hits my door step.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Good review. Covers all the important usability and performance topics. I'm really surprised the Ally's mobile performance doesn't rate much higher than the Steam Deck. The Ally's launch price is lower than I expected, but I still feel like the Steam Deck is a better deal.

Reactions: mitch074 and prtskg

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
-No ability to suspend/resume game.
-About half the performance as the Steam Deck at 10w.

These two things alone make it unappealing as a handheld.
I run almost every game I play on S.D at 9w to extend battery since that is the whole point of having a handheld in my mind, and being able to quickly pause resume game-play is an absolute necessity.

Reactions: mitch074

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I like it. Sure it has its flaws, but it's competitive with the Deck. Now each customer must weight the pros and cons to choose.

I just feel sad with the regular Z1 unit. It should have a 720p or 768p screen with 60hz (a quad core cpu would be nice, but that's up to AMD making one). The Z1 Extreme as it is already struggles with the 1080p screen.

Reactions: colossusrage

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Besides the battery issue? Different performance on battery versus plugged in, no carrying case included, weak battery life, and a generally worse software and ergonomic experience. We gave the Steam Deck four stars. Is this better than the Steam Deck? In some ways, but it's also worse in plenty of areas.

To be clear, the 3.5-star score is assuming the battery charging issue was a fluke and won't affect a bunch of units. If that proves incorrect, we would drop the score, rather than increasing it if the issue is solved. We're giving Asus the benefit of the doubt, in other words.
I would drop another star just because it's Asus.
Until you get a unit that has no battery issues you must assume it is what it is.

Nov 14, 2022
I don't get it.

So many people seem like they are reaching so hard to not like the ally. If you don't want it, don't buy it... But I don't understand irrationally hating some inanimate object that nobody is forcing anyone to buy. Maybe it's the recent anti Asus sentiment over the Ryzen 7000 stuff, which is surely a problem but as usual the community has been whipped up into yet another irrational frenzy over something that likely doesn't even effect them, and they've been directed in a singular direction when the blame falls across multiple shoulders.

I don't even think it's just that, because I've been seeing the hate since before then. Hardware people all whine about monopolies and anticompetitive BS like Nvidia pulls and cry for competition and then those same people go to great lengths to hate the new competition before they have even touched it. Maybe it's as simple as fragile egos and the need to always feel validated.

Anyway, to the article. From what I'm reading and comparing your results to others, I have to question methodology or due diligence in making sure everything was up to snuff in terms of updates, background processes etc. It's that, or it seems like you guys had a defective unit. Or everyone else is lying or wrong with their benchmarks.

I get that that is a part of testing new hardware, and sometimes you have 1 unit and stuff isn't right and you can only go with what your seeing. However, were you allowed to reach out to other outlets and validate your results?

Unfortunately, if there is indeed an issue with your unit... We all know how the internet works. Many more people will see this lukewarm review with barely better than SD performance and be it the bias described above or simply taking it at face value and moving on, will just think the ally is crap and leave it at that and never see any update that's released if you get a replacement unit. Then they will use that to justify going around the internet proclaiming something is crap, off of someone else's word.

Still, I don't see how a hardware site that regularly covers silicon can look at the spec sheet of the Z1 extreme and not see any issue in those results comparative to the decks Van Gogh. You're basically getting worse than 6800u performance.

Just as an example, ETA PRIME showed CP2077 running on battery 1080p low settings set to 15w getting just shy of 60 FPS average. Then 1080p low settings in turbo mode averaging 74 FPS.

RDR2 1080p low settings (favor performance), in performance mode he got 44 FPS average and in turbo mode he got 64 FPS average.

Forza Horizon 5 at 1080p medium settings at 15w he showed 81 FPS average and in turbo mode he showed 101 FPS average.

He was actively playing these games on the ally in his video, with the device running on battery.

These are huge discrepancies from what you guys are getting not only in raw performance but also this claim you make throughout the article about different performance when plugged in vs on battery. He is getting better 1080p performance than what you guys are showing for 720p, on battery. This is inline with all of the other reviewers I have seen show benchmarks at this point. Your results are definitely the outlier.

So please, look into this. The performance is literally THE selling point for this device imo. Of course those numbers you got make it look like 3.5 stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: colossusrage
Nov 14, 2022
Good review. Covers all the important usability and performance topics. I'm really surprised the Ally's mobile performance doesn't rate much higher than the Steam Deck. The Ally's launch price is lower than I expected, but I still feel like the Steam Deck is a better deal.
Look near the end of my other comment for some results from a different tester. There is something flawed with their testing or their review unit was defective. Their results are significantly worse than what everyone else has shown at this point. Like not even the same ballpark.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Thank you for the review. Its too bad that after buying their products for the past 18 years, I decided in March 2023 to never purchase another asus product ever again. After the poor and condescending customer service i received, I have absolutely zero faith in this company to ever do the right thing when it comes to customer service/support. GN's latest video of the burning AM5 debacle only further cements this for me

@JarredWaltonGPU
Very interesting review, this looks like a very capable piece of hardware.
Can this thing cast (wirelessly ofc) its picture/sound to a TV?
If so, have you tried it out? Is it viable?
You'd have to ask @AndrewFreedman about that, as he's the one with the Ally hardware.

Anyway, to the article. From what I'm reading and comparing your results to others, I have to question methodology or due diligence in making sure everything was up to snuff in terms of updates, background processes etc. It's that, or it seems like you guys had a defective unit. Or everyone else is lying or wrong with their benchmarks.

I get that that is a part of testing new hardware, and sometimes you have 1 unit and stuff isn't right and you can only go with what your seeing. However, were you allowed to reach out to other outlets and validate your results?
It's possible that the problems all stem from having a defective unit. However, that in itself would be concerning. Sending out review units that are defective suggests a lack of QA. This is why the review starts with a note about the problems Andrew experienced, and until he has a replacement unit, we don't know for certain how it will perform.
Still, I don't see how a hardware site that regularly covers silicon can look at the spec sheet of the Z1 extreme and not see any issue in those results comparative to the decks Van Gogh. You're basically getting worse than 6800u performance.
Power constrained devices can behave in unexpected ways. Differences between tech specs and real-world performance are the whole reason to run benchmarks! Most places that actually bothered to run benchmarks, rather than just showing a game running, provided hard data (as in a summary average FPS result) for the Ally in both performance and turbo modes.
Just as an example, ETA PRIME showed CP2077 running on battery 1080p low settings set to 15w getting just shy of 60 FPS average. Then 1080p low settings in turbo mode averaging 74 FPS.

RDR2 1080p low settings (favor performance), in performance mode he got 44 FPS average and in turbo mode he got 64 FPS average.

Forza Horizon 5 at 1080p medium settings at 15w he showed 81 FPS average and in turbo mode he showed 101 FPS average.

He was actively playing these games on the ally in his video, with the device running on battery.
That last line is the most important detail. He wasn't running a repeatable benchmark, and he didn't show the exact same test and settings with the Steam Deck. We really have no idea what he was doing, but with a video review title of "This Changes Everything" I can't help but think he's chasing views rather than being fully objective.

He was just playing games with an FPS overlay in the corner. There's literally no comparison given with any other hardware that I saw while skimming the video. I'm not questioning the FPS counter here, but rather pointing out that different areas of a game can behave quite differently.

For example, Forza Horizon 5's built-in benchmark is a full race, lasting about 90 seconds, where there are always multiple other cars on the screen (probably at least five in all cases, and as many as 10-11 in some cases). Driving around in the open world portion of the game with one or two other cars occasionally visible is not the same. Period.

The same applies to Red Dead Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077. Plus, besides him saying the games were running at 1080p Low, I have no idea if that's actually correct or what those settings mean. If the settings we (Andrew) used aren't the same as what ETA Prime used, you can again get wildly different results. If you're doing a video, at least show the settings screen and then drop into the game!

Benchmarks need to be repeated in the same fashion, with the same settings. We couldn't use the same resolution for both the Steam Deck and Ally, but the test sequences were the same. An FPS counter in a corner isn't actually a benchmark. You need to log frametimes, then convert to average FPS values. Or at least use a repeatable benchmark that does that for you (which is what Andrew did). Because sometimes things get missed if you're just watching a video with an FPS counter, doubly so if you're just running around in a game without following the same path each time.

There are definitely other reviews that show middling performance, especially in the default Performance mode. Trusted Reviews for example has these five charts. At 720p, in performance mode, those show the Ally was 15% faster in Horizon Zero Dawn, 18% faster in Dirt Rally, 5% faster in Cyberpunk 2077, 18% faster in Returnal, and 24% slower in F1 2022.

The Verge review: Ally was 23% faster in Cyberpunk, 33% faster in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, 20% faster in Elden Ring, and 11% faster in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Again, that's comparing Performance mode, because Turbo mode cuts battery life quite a bit.

If we toss out F1 2022 in the Trusted Reviews as an outlier, comparing Ally in Performance mode to the Steam Deck, we get an average FPS advantage of 21% (The Verge), 15% (Trusted Reviews), and 17% (Tom's Hardware). I should also note that technically we at least are comparing 1280x720 on the Ally to 1280x800 on the Steam Deck, so the Steam Deck is rendering 11% more pixels, which means you could probably subtract 5–10 percent from our results if you want true equivalent performance comparisons at the same resolution . (That might apply to the other two reviews I referenced as well, but I don't know for certain what settings they used.)

Clearly, our numbers aren't all that different from what I found in a quick Google search for "Asus Ally performance" — Trusted Reviews was the top result, then The Verge, then PC Gamer (which did asinine ultra ray tracing performance comparisons with laptops for whatever reason, so there weren't any useful data points in there).

This is what being objective is like. You give reference points to other competing hardware, and you show performance in a like-for-like comparison. I don't really care if you love the Ally (even though you haven't used it, AFAIK), but that's obviously not an objective statement or a review.

colossusrage

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
Call me crazy but I see Windows 11 as a negative compared to SteamOS.
Why would I want a bloated ad ridden piece of spyware not designed for the use case at hand?
Calling you crazy. SteamOS is good, but its compatibility with other launchers like EA, Ubisoft, and Rockstar, gives it poor compatibility with a huge library of good games. Also, the desktop mode on SteamOS is rather buggy and works when it feels like it. Every time you enter it, sometimes the haptic mousepad works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the mouse will work at all, it may freeze, it may not, it may launch programs, it may not. SteamOS is great and all, but it's not better than Windows in anything but taking up less resources.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Look near the end of my other comment for some results from a different tester. There is something flawed with their testing or their review unit was defective. Their results are significantly worse than what everyone else has shown at this point. Like not even the same ballpark.
The review results, when compiled with those of other sites, help show me the range of performance I can expect from a product. You're right in that the Tom's review Ally may not have had the best thermal interface application or won the silicon lottery. I don't think there is anything wrong/unusual with the review testing. Tom's numbers are usually close with my real world experiences when I buy a reviewed product.

I think there's a bigger conversation that needs to be had about Asus' production chain. I have been researching the ROG Flow X16 and X13. Just like the Ally, the same variations in quality control and performance appear there too. Asus positions ROG products as premium offerings. The amount of variation in the fit, finish, and performance is concerning. Nobody wants to return an Ally or Flow multiple times to get one that's made right.

Calling you crazy. SteamOS is good, but its compatibility with other launchers like EA, Ubisoft, and Rockstar, gives it poor compatibility with a huge library of good games. Also, the desktop mode on SteamOS is rather buggy and works when it feels like it. Every time you enter it, sometimes the haptic mousepad works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the mouse will work at all, it may freeze, it may not, it may launch programs, it may not. SteamOS is great and all, but it's not better than Windows in anything but taking up less resources.
...which is a bit of a problem on a device where you want to milk every last milliwatt of power : in 10W mode on a 8 core CPU, you may find yourself running the whole die at speeds around 1.5 GHz - at these speeds, in my experience, Windows 10/11 eat up close to 20% CPU time merely running all the background tasks - on Linux, it's closer to 2-5%.
Yeah - 15% of CPU time wasted on non-gaming tasks. That will easily destroy whatever process and uarch advantage the newer hardware has.
The Ally may be a Deck killer if it ran SteamOS or, at least, Tiny11, but then it would lose the "it's Windows so it's 100% compatible" gimmick - making Valve's strategy all the more sensible.
I'm more worried about sticky buttons, lousy joysticks, lack of spare parts and bad battery life, TBH - I feel like I'm back in 1990 choosing between the Game Boy and its lousy (but usable) screen and 10+ hours on batteries and the Game Gear that had colour and backlight but pretty much required you to play next to a wall socket.
FWIW, I got a Game Boy back then.

...which is a bit of a problem on a device where you want to milk every last milliwatt of power : in 10W mode on a 8 core CPU, you may find yourself running the whole die at speeds around 1.5 GHz - at these speeds, in my experience, Windows 10/11 eat up close to 20% CPU time merely running all the background tasks - on Linux, it's closer to 2-5%.
Yeah - 15% of CPU time wasted on non-gaming tasks. That will easily destroy whatever process and uarch advantage the newer hardware has.
The Ally may be a Deck killer if it ran SteamOS or, at least, Tiny11, but then it would lose the "it's Windows so it's 100% compatible" gimmick - making Valve's strategy all the more sensible.
I'm more worried about sticky buttons, lousy joysticks, lack of spare parts and bad battery life, TBH - I feel like I'm back in 1990 choosing between the Game Boy and its lousy (but usable) screen and 10+ hours on batteries and the Game Gear that had colour and backlight but pretty much required you to play next to a wall socket.
FWIW, I got a Game Boy back then.
15% is bunk, unless you’re opening a bunch of browser windows, with a video in one of them, and using a dual-core CPU maybe. On something like the Ally, with an 8-core CPU, Windows’ background tasks probably amount to 5% of one CPU core. Even on a Steam Deck, it wouldn’t be 15%.

Places (including Tom’s) have run benchmarks under Windows and SteamOS with a Steam Deck. Performance is usually very close or favors Windows. There’s a reason for that. Yes, binary translation can hurt SteamOS performance. But the biggest delta I’ve seen in favor of SteamOS was around 10% (for a game with a native Linux port). And most of the time it’s more like 2~4% at most. 15% is a massive outlier. That’s in line with the bigger overhead of Windows: 2-4%.