[SOLVED] Asus RoG Crosshair V Formula-z with AMD FX 9590 Freezing Issues

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
Hi there, (please be patient with me, I am a noob at this, and require your aid oh tech gods.)

I recently upgraded my CPU & RAM, and have been running into some problems.

System -

OS - Windows 10 64bit
MB - Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard
CPU - AMD FX 9590
CPU - Cooler - Coolermaster V8
RAM - 8GB x2 DDR3 1866mhz
GPU - Radeon HD 7970
PSU - Corsair AX860 Platinum Rated

At first my system crashed almost straight away every time after start-up/getting onto desktop, but that was solved by a BIOS update to v2201.

Now my system appeared to run fine. Until I start playing games.
It lasts a few minutes, maybe even 10+ minutes of gameplay (World of Warcraft Shadowlands). And my computer then freezes, it's pretty consistent as well.
It freezes in a way where you can still see everything on-screen, but everything is completely unresponsive, completely locked up.

So at first I thought it's overheating. But temps SEEM okay while I'm playing the game on max settings, 40's / 50's. Occaisionally low 60's but not often, usually just when i'm doing multiple things at once (web broser, launcher, game, some other thing running too). I don't know if that's Average or Bad though for this CPU (which I know requires a lot of juice. But I think my PSU meets the requirements based on other threads I've read.)

I have all of the Motherboards extra power connections connected to the PSU, as well the EZ Plug connector. And I only used a thin layer of thermal paste which you apparently should.

I think it's just some sort of stability issue that can potentially be rectified within the BIOS settings. But I don't really know what kind of voltages/settings it should be since I'm not really an overclocker. I just have a basic understanding.

I have AMD Turbo Core turned off because apparently that causes it to crash. In addition to C6 & Cool-n-Quiet being turned off in the CPU configuration.

I seen a suggestion that said to higher the North Bridge Voltage to 1.54, which is still set as that. No idea if that's right or wrong.

If anyone is willing to help can you please just ask what you need me to do use to figure out what is causing the freezing.
Or if you know any settings right of the bat that would help/be needed, that'd be super.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes correct. That CPU runs too hot for an air cooler like that. Now underclocking it to 4.5ghz may keep it just enough in the range but you're severely kneecapping it. That said if you want a running system this may work.

Again there it NO SOFTWARE that can give you proper temps on the FX series except AMD Overdrive. I don't care what the software you have is telling you. The CPU doesn't have a normal thermal sensor in it.

In Overdrive you will see something called thermal margin. That is the temperature difference between the CPU's current temp and overheating. So for example if you look at it at idle and it says "50" thats good, it means its 50c from overheating. If you're playing a game and it says "5" thats bad, that...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Whatever you are using to monitor temps is incorrect. The FX Processors can only be monitored via AMD Overdrive using the Thermal Limit. Normal temp software doesn't work properly.

That Cooler is WAY too small for that CPU. That CPU needs 240mm AIO cooler to get the heat exchange away from the processor area, as well as a fan blowing across the VRMs around the processor.

You said you just upgraded to this? Where did you get it? That processor is one of the worst in history. If you recently purchased it new you should seriously consider returning it and whatever else you bought instead of throwing more money at this. Even with that 240mm AIO you're looking at game performance that is no better than a Ryzen 3 1200 or Intel i3.

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
Whatever you are using to monitor temps is incorrect. The FX Processors can only be monitored via AMD Overdrive using the Thermal Limit. Normal temp software doesn't work properly.

That Cooler is WAY too small for that CPU. That CPU needs 240mm AIO cooler to get the heat exchange away from the processor area, as well as a fan blowing across the VRMs around the processor.

You said you just upgraded to this? Where did you get it? That processor is one of the worst in history. If you recently purchased it new you should seriously consider returning it and whatever else you bought instead of throwing more money at this. Even with that 240mm AIO you're looking at game performance that is no better than a Ryzen 3 1200 or Intel i3.
So this is not good enough for that CPU correct? And it is in-fact overheating you believe.
coolermasterv8_1.jpg

I got it on Ebay, I seen it for a reasonably good price as an upgrade from my Phenom II 1090t 3.2ghz.
It's been a long time since I've done anything with my computer so I had forgotten things to check for. Cooling kind of slipped my mind I guess, figuring that my current cooler would be sufficient.

Also I've just been playing WoW right now. I also underclocked the CPU from 4.7 to 4.5 ghz. And it's running on average in the 30's . AMD Overdrive is actually displaying lower temps that Core-Temp was.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes correct. That CPU runs too hot for an air cooler like that. Now underclocking it to 4.5ghz may keep it just enough in the range but you're severely kneecapping it. That said if you want a running system this may work.

Again there it NO SOFTWARE that can give you proper temps on the FX series except AMD Overdrive. I don't care what the software you have is telling you. The CPU doesn't have a normal thermal sensor in it.

In Overdrive you will see something called thermal margin. That is the temperature difference between the CPU's current temp and overheating. So for example if you look at it at idle and it says "50" thats good, it means its 50c from overheating. If you're playing a game and it says "5" thats bad, that means its 5c from overheating.

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

This CPU is known for overheating the VRMs. Tower coolers like yours don't offer any airflow downward to the VRMs around the CPU to cool them. Neither do AIO coolers either, which is why I suggested a fan blowing directly towards the CPU area to provide them with airflow as well. So even if you have your CPU temps in check this could cause you problems as well.

Hence the 9590 being one of the worst CPU in history.

Solution

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
If it works, it's an acceptable loss for now I suppose. Hasn't crashed yet. But WoW has been alt tabbed for most of this, so not too sure yet.
I am using AMD Overdrive now.
In Overdrive you will see something called thermal margin. That is the temperature difference between the CPU's current temp and overheating. So for example if you look at it at idle and it says "50" thats good, it means its 50c from overheating. If you're playing a game and it says "5" thats bad, that means its 5c from overheating.
Oh so what it says on Thermal Margin is actually how far away the tempreture is from overheating, not the actual temp.
BUT WAIT THERES MORE!

This CPU is known for overheating the VRMs. Tower coolers like yours don't offer any airflow downward to the VRMs around the CPU to cool them. Neither do AIO coolers either, which is why I suggested a fan blowing directly towards the CPU area to provide them with airflow as well. So even if you have your CPU temps in check this could cause you problems as well.

Hence the 9590 being one of the worst CPU in history.
Yeah I didn't know this when I bought it, sad times.

What kind of Cooler would you recommend?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Oh so what it says on Thermal Margin is actually how far away the tempreture is from overheating, not the actual temp.

Correct. Its calculated based on onboard sensors, but its a sensor array. There is no standard core temp sensor like an Intel processor has.

What kind of Cooler would you recommend?

A 240mm AIO such as a Corsair H100i

Whats good about it is you can re use it on a future build. Because TBH Spending this money on that system isn't worth it.

Also make sure your case has a fan pointing direct at the CPU area.

Also, if you have any suggestions in how to make it not overheart using my current air-cooler. If clocking it down from 4.7 to 4.5 isn't enough.

See how it works at 4.5, try and bump it down to 4.3, thats what the FX-8350 runs at base clock which is what that CPU is based off of.

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
A 240mm AIO such as a Corsair H100i

Whats good about it is you can re use it on a future build. Because TBH Spending this money on that system isn't worth it.

Also make sure your case has a fan pointing direct at the CPU area.
There is a fan on the side of the case blowing air onto the MBoard, close to the CPU, but it's more close to the GPU.

My case is a HAF 912, would that be okay to install such a cooler as you suggested?
See how it works at 4.5, try and bump it down to 4.3, thats what the FX-8350 runs at base clock which is what that CPU is based off of.
Okay I will try that if it crashes again. I'm not much of an overclocker, are their any other settings I'd need to change when down-clocking, or would just lowering the CPU Ratio be fine?

Also do you have anything to say in regards to that suggestion to raise the Northbridge Voltage from Auto to 1.54? Auto was coming in at 1.1something I think. Since my NBridge voltage is still at 1.54.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If the HAF 912 has 2 120mm fan slots on top of eachother then yes. You may need to remove the drive cages for it to fit. Its kind of an old case and not really made for AIO liquid cooling. Theres a fan mount on the back of thee case near the CPU area, make sure there is a fan there exhausting out.

I wouldn't change the NB voltage, thats not the issue, leave it on Auto, lowering the CPU ratio should do the job for you.

Reactions: Cryorex

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
If the HAF 912 has 2 120mm fan slots on top of eachother then yes. You may need to remove the drive cages for it to fit. Its kind of an old case and not really made for AIO liquid cooling. Theres a fan mount on the back of thee case near the CPU area, make sure there is a fan there exhausting out.

I wouldn't change the NB voltage, thats not the issue, leave it on Auto, lowering the CPU ratio should do the job for you.
Ok cool. I've changed the NB voltage back to normal.

So I'll keep it at 4.5ghz for now, and change it to 4.3ghz if it crashes again (hopefully it doesn't), though it may do the temps a favour if I just lower it to 4.3ghz anyway.

I'll see about getting a new cooler soon hopefully.

Thanks for your help! :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok cool. I've changed the NB voltage back to normal.

So I'll keep it at 4.5ghz for now, and change it to 4.3ghz if it crashes again (hopefully it doesn't), though it may do the temps a favour if I just lower it to 4.3ghz anyway.

I'll see about getting a new cooler soon hopefully.

Thanks for your help! :)

Lowing it to 4.3 will definitely help.

TBH if you can get it stable like that then maybe don't bother with the AIO cooler and just live with it as is. I don't think you'll get a lot of bang for your buck out of the cooler and the extra speed. That CPU just isn't that fast.

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
Lowing it to 4.3 will definitely help.

TBH if you can get it stable like that then maybe don't bother with the AIO cooler and just live with it as is. I don't think you'll get a lot of bang for your buck out of the cooler and the extra speed. That CPU just isn't that fast.
Yeah I was thinking that as well.

Think I'll save my pennies for when I can do a whole - MBoard, CPU & RAM upgrade to modern standards.

TRENDING THREADS