Question ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII DARK HERO

hzqk1

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
So, i have this motherboard, and i have been using this for over a half a year. i do have a 5900X and i use gskill trident Z 4x8gb 3600Mhz cl 14 sticks. I must say that this is probably a just as bad choice of motherboard compared with the rog strix x570 f gaming card that i upgraded from.
the reason for me upgrading was that the rog strix f gaming card was unstable. back then i used 4x8gb Corsair Vengance LPX 4000MHz cl 19 ram sticks. The pc would shut down in the middle of games and it would do it often.
The dark hero viii board is doing the same thing and i have done som research online where i come to the conclusion that i'm not alone. i have done all sorts of tweeks in bios and for starters, the pc would not boot with D.O.C.P set. so had to increase voltage for it to even start.
Then my fav game is COD warzone would keep shutting the pc down.
This is acually what happens every time: screen goes freeze for 0.5 sec and then the computer dies. only to reeboot without any output to screen. so i have to hold powerbutton to force shutdown, wait for a couple of sec and then power on.
to be fair, warzone is a ultra sensitive game when it comes to amd builds, as far as i know. I cannot use any overclock (ryzen master, radeon gpu oc, or bios OC) i have to set the ram to default.
Not only that, but now i realize that windows game pass games are shutting down the system. i have a friend of mine with the same setup, The difference is that he is using a Gigabyte Aorus board, without the same amount of issues i have.
Warzone is a sensitive game so he does have som issues there once in a while. not in the gamepass games.
This Asus dark hero VIII card is supposed to handle OC pretty well. maybe its just the mainboard not getting along with the ram sticks, who knows? im not a computer expert, but i'm guessing that such an expensive motherboard that is supposed to be a beast with OC would be able to run stable at default??
i just dont know what to do with this one, and i'm browsing for alternatives at this moment...
I was told to start a new tread here since i posted this as a reply to tread about this motherboard. i was also told that 4 ram sticks may not be the way to go. So im browsing for 16gb sticks now.
Is there anyone with similar build having these issues, or someone out there with some more technical knowledge who can help out with this?
tnx in advance.

Full specs:
Dark hero Viii
5900x
Samsung 980 pro 512gb (C drive)
firecuda 530 4tb
samsung 860 qvo 2tb
Asus Radeon rx 6900 xt tuf gaming
Noctua DH-15 air cooler
4x8gb gkill tridentZ neo 3600MHz CL 14
corsair HX850 psu
(all components are bought for this build)

This i have now done after the post of this thread:
Prime95: cpu torture test for 2 1/2 hours with no errors.
FurMark: Gpu stresstest for 3 hours with no errors
MemTest86 : RAM stresstest for hours while i was sleeping with no errors.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You've listed the PSU generically. 850W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. Please include the make and model of the unit. If it's recycled from another build, include the age of the unit and what it powered while in it's older home. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? How are you cooling that processor? As for the ram kit, you can go higher than 1.35v...you just need to pay attention to what the voltage necessity is for your particular ram kit. Some kits can work with lower voltages while some need more to push higher frequencies and tighter timings.

hzqk1

Prominent
Feb 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You've listed the PSU generically. 850W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. Please include the make and model of the unit. If it's recycled from another build, include the age of the unit and what it powered while in it's older home. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? How are you cooling that processor? As for the ram kit, you can go higher than 1.35v...you just need to pay attention to what the voltage necessity is for your particular ram kit. Some kits can work with lower voltages while some need more to push higher frequencies and tighter timings.

i have boosted the voltage up to 1.06250. and thats when i get d.o.c.p to function with the 3600MHz that these Ramsticks are ment for. This will not solve the gamepass games problem. i turn off d.o.c.p and the blackouts continue. have tried to set cl timings up to CL19 (and voltage still at 1.06250). its like nothing has changed. i have had this voltage setting for a couple of months

Last edited: