Question ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Front Panel Options

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
I'm choosing parts for a new build. It's been 5 years since my previous and only build. I am leaning toward a Ryzen 9 3900X or possibly a step down from that on the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi motherboard. One major reason is the number of ports on the rear panel, and the specs are specific about that. But it also seems I need to know what Front Panel connectors it would support so I can choose a compatible case. (The case on my current computer has two USB 3.0's (USB 3.2 Gen 1) on the case and 2 more on a front panel slot which has been convenient.)

Am I right in thinking that the board will support 2 front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports and 2 front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports through the internal connectors? Also I assume the four USB 2.0 ports could be used on the front panel?

I hope this question is asked sensibly. As I said, it's been a while since my first and only build, and I'd really like to get my parts list final and on order soon. Thanks for any help.

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
TBH, I feel your pain... I had a MSi X570 MPG Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard in a Corsair 750D case which has two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 ports. All four ports worked fine. I replaced the MSi with the ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero and only one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port works. I cannot figure out why.

On a side note, I also had a MSi Z170 motherboard originally in the case and all four ports worked. I put the motherboard in another Corsair case (100R) and only two of the four ports worked. Go figure...

stlsailor

Honorable
Sep 25, 2017
Hmmm. And I was concerned simply about getting the type and quantity of ports to match. I never considered the scenario you describe. The only build I've done used a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H motherboard and a Corsair Carbide 500R case with an additional front panel insert with two USB 3.0 ports. Everything worked right off the bat, so I assumed that was the norm. Bad assumption apparently. I wonder what kind of success others have had with this. I really don't want to spend this much money on a build only to have ports that don't work. But even filtering on front panel ports to save time seems find a case with the ports I want is seldom offered.

TRENDING THREADS