[SOLVED] Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero USB headers?

Oct 20, 2020
Hello.

I'm choosing parts for a new PC and was planning to use this motherboard and the Corsair 4000D Airflow case.

In PCPartPicker if you select this two components, a warning appears saying the following:
Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port, but the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A port will not be usable.

I'm finding little information about this case, but seems like it needs two USB 3.2 Gen 1 headers for the front panel (it has one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C and one USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A). Now the Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard is listed on the ASUS site with the following under the USB section:
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)
If you continue reading the specifications, there is also a section of Internal Ports with:
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10Gbps) connector
  • 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 (up to 5Gbps) connector support additional 2 USB ports (Is this suppose to be the same port named on the USB section?)
I'm don't know about the compatibility between different USB Gens (can I connect the remaining USB 3.2 Gen 1 connection from the front panel to the 3.2 Gen 2 connector?) or if this other listed internal ports can be used as headers for the front panel.

Anyone with this MB and case combination that can clarify it?

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2020
Thanks @Mtop
This is so confusing...

In the PDF there are two sections, each describing those USB 3.2 Gen 1 and Gen 2 connectors (pages 1-18 and 1-19). Both have a similar description:
USB 3.2 Gen X connector

The USB 3.2 Gen X connector allows you to connect a USB 3.2 Gen X module for additional USB 3.2 Gen X ports. The USB 3.2 Gen X connector provides data transfer speeds of up to X Gb/s.

The USB 3.2 Gen X module is purchased separately.
What 'module' means in this context? The front panel connectors directly? Some kind of expansion internal card?

Oct 20, 2020
Then I guess it should support both connections from the front I/O of that case...

There is enough reasonable doubt to try it then. In the worst situation I'll need a PCIe card providing additional USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports.

Thanks to both!