[SOLVED] asus rog g15 not detecting rtx 3060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2021
i recently bought the new asus rog G15 with amd ryzen 7 5800h and rtx 3060
when i first started the windows it detected the rtx 3060 but after some firmware update it is not detecting it
i have tried all the possible solution there is from uninstalling to reinstalling drivers
the bios does show the nvidia rtx 3060 but i cannot detect it in the windows whatsoever i do
i have no idea what the problem is i have asked for a replacement ,which will happen in 20 days from now that is just too long
i hope someone can help me out through the forum
one more thing my cpu is showing 512 mb vram no idea why and its 100% used most of the times

thanks in advance guys my friends told me about the forum...looking forward to be a part of it ...and contribute to it in whatsoever way possible:)

Reactions: diazAP
Solution
What do you mean by "Windows does not detect the GPU?" Does it not show up in Task Manager?

For some context I have a G14 and it's basically the same as your laptop. The only thing I'm aware of that makes the NVIDIA GPU no longer "detectable" by the OS is by making it iGPU only through Armory Crate.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
i recently bought the new asus rog G15 with amd ryzen 7 5800h and rtx 3060
when i first started the windows it detected the rtx 3060 but after some firmware update it is not detecting it
i have tried all the possible solution there is from uninstalling to reinstalling drivers
the bios does show the nvidia rtx 3060 but i cannot detect it in the windows whatsoever i do
i have no idea what the problem is i have asked for a replacement ,which will happen in 20 days from now that is just too long
i hope someone can help me out through the forum
one more thing my cpu is showing 512 mb vram no idea why and its 100% used most of the times

thanks in advance guys my friends told me about the forum...looking forward to be a part of it ...and contribute to it in whatsoever way possible:)
Well if Windows previously caught the GPU as an RTX 3060, then it wouldn't be Windows. You elaborate more to say after an update, it no longer detects it. So, not necessarily Windows, but Windows Updates.

Reason your CPU is showing VRAM is because that "CPU" is an APU, meaning it's a CPU with integrated graphics in it (or GPU and CPU combined in simpler terms).

That also can be another reason for your GPU not showing up as it's using the CPU graphics instead of the GPU. To fix that, you'll need to disable it in the BIOS.

Reactions: xboy777
Jun 9, 2021
Well if Windows previously caught the GPU as an RTX 3060, then it wouldn't be Windows. You elaborate more to say after an update, it no longer detects it. So, not necessarily Windows, but Windows Updates.

Reason your CPU is showing VRAM is because that "CPU" is an APU, meaning it's a CPU with integrated graphics in it (or GPU and CPU combined in simpler terms).

That also can be another reason for your GPU not showing up as it's using the CPU graphics instead of the GPU. To fix that, you'll need to disable it in the BIOS.

https://pasteboard.co/K5PFgxc.png
here is a screenshot of the ddu it did detect the dgpu
but i am just kind of reluctant to use it
thanks to the warnings ddu gave me when i just ran it
is it safe to use it out side the specified regions i will bbe using it in india

and i did the check the bios but there is no graphic configuration option there or any option from which i can enable or disable the rtx3060

What do you mean by "Windows does not detect the GPU?" Does it not show up in Task Manager?

For some context I have a G14 and it's basically the same as your laptop. The only thing I'm aware of that makes the NVIDIA GPU no longer "detectable" by the OS is by making it iGPU only through Armory Crate.

Solution

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
https://pasteboard.co/K5PFgxc.png
here is a screenshot of the ddu it did detect the dgpu
but i am just kind of reluctant to use it
thanks to the warnings ddu gave me when i just ran it
is it safe to use it out side the specified regions i will bbe using it in india

and i did the check the bios but there is no graphic configuration option there or any option from which i can enable or disable the rtx3060
The "warning" it gave you was because it recommends you to be in safe mode. It is not safe to be in safe mode (not to be pun-intended).

There is nothing wrong with using this software. It's been used by millions and it has worked every single time for me. Not one issue (as long as you're in safe mode).

You can use it anywhere. It's your computer. I wouldn't see it being "against the law".

Disable the RTX 3060? We're trying to disable the CPU graphics, not the GPU. You should never try and do that. If you want to do that and disable the GPU, take a hammer and smash it a few times. Not worth the money or time.

The setting will be in there somewhere. You'll just have to dig for it.

Jun 9, 2021

this actually solved my problem i just bought a new laptop man after 7 years and had no idea what these new features are
thanks guys!!!!!!!i literally asked for a replacement i doubt i ll need it now

Reactions: hotaru.hino
\
this actually solved my problem i just bought a new laptop man after 7 years and had no idea what these new features are
thanks guys!!!!!!!i literally asked for a replacement i doubt i ll need it now
It's weird that the firmware update did that, unless you're on battery. Which also causes the system to go into iGPU only mode by default.

I mean, I get where ASUS is going, but I can see how this can cause confusion.

Jun 9, 2021
\

It's weird that the firmware update did that, unless you're on battery. Which also causes the system to go into iGPU only mode by default.

I mean, I get where ASUS is going, but I can see how this can cause confusion.
yes after the update there was a notification saying that igpu only have been turned on something like that i had no idea what it is and didnt even look into it
and 1 morething mate when idling my cpu temp ranges from somehere around 60-70 degrees is it normal?

yes after the update there was a notification saying that igpu only have been turned on something like that i had no idea what it is and didnt even look into it
and 1 morething mate when idling my cpu temp ranges from somehere around 60-70 degrees is it normal?
Depends on if something's happening in the background you're unaware of and what mode you set it to. But the CPU tops out at 100C so it's still not the end of the world. Plus Ryzen CPUs have a tendency to temperature spike due to servicing a bunch of idle tasks periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.