Asus Rog G20AJ GPU UPGRADE

facedekiadam

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
Hello everybody.
I have G20Aj gtx 760.But I want to upgrade my graphic card.I wanted Gtx 1070 Asus Strix but my friends said that will not work on my pc.What should I do?
I want 1070 series maybe MSI or EVGA.Can I get them or do they work on my pc?
and if its not can you guys give me advise for get which graphic card.Thank you.
intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz.
EDIT: INTERNET SAYS YOU CAN PUT GEFORCE GTX 1070 FOUNDERS EDITION BUT IM NOT SURE TO GET IT PLEASE GIVE ADVICE.

Solution

There's a couple issues at work here:
1) Physical dimensions of the video card you want to put into the machine. I know this sounds like a stupid statement, but when you open the case, you'll notice that there's a metal housing that the video card slides into. I tried...

Lutfij

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from facedekiadam : "Can I Upgrade Gtx 760 to 1080 Founders Edition"

MERGED QUESTION
Question from facedekiadam : "G20Aj GTX1080 Upgrade"

Dweagar

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017

There's a couple issues at work here:
1) Physical dimensions of the video card you want to put into the machine. I know this sounds like a stupid statement, but when you open the case, you'll notice that there's a metal housing that the video card slides into. I tried several 1070/1080 cards and couldn't get them to fit into the housing. The main problem is that there is a metal latch that has to be in place for the card to secure into the housing correctly. Most of the cards had some sort of plastic or metal ventilation piece in place which blocked the bracket from closing.

2) Power requirements. In the ASUS G20AJ, the designers opted to use external laptop "brick" type power supplies. You have a 230w and (hopefully) a 180w. On mine, the 230w is dedicated to the CPU/motherboard, etc. The 180w is for the GPU. Nvidia 1080 cards draw 180w of power, the 1070's and under draw less. While technically you can support a 1080, the peak power of the GPU power supply does not leave room for any degradation.

As for a solution, I opted for the EVGA 1060 6gb card. It fits in the case, the housing, and performs almost as well as the 1070, for a much lower price point ($250-$300).

Solution

facedekiadam

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017

Thank you for your reply.
I bought Gtx 1080Ti Founders Edition 1 month ago and there is no problem this thing is beast.So there are no problem with my computer.Thank you for everything.

Dweagar

Reputable
Mar 24, 2017

What was the power draw on the card? And did you upgrade the GPU PSU? Or keep with the stock one?