Question ASUS ROG G751JY replacing Samsung SSD with Kingstone SSD (new SSD not booting)

Apr 12, 2023
Hello,

I'll list my specs and go into details:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.6GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
CPU cooler: Normal Cooling (not liquid)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Ram: 24576MB RAM
OLD SSD: 256 GB Samsung MZ-HPU256T/005
NEW SSD: 1TB Kingstone NV2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
PSU: Not Sure
Chassis: Not sure

Summary:
I replaced my Samsung SSD with the new Kingstone SSD, i was able to install Windows on it using a bootable USB Flash Drive however after installing windows, laptop wont boot into the SSD and it does not appear in the boot option in BIOS.
As if this Kingstone SSD does not have "boot" capabilities.

Details:
I'll try to go as much as possible into details, my old Samsung SSD is working fine, but I wanted to upgrade to a bigger SSD size therefor i bought a new 1TB Kingstone SSD.
  1. 1st Attempt, I thought it would be a straight forward process, therefor i cloned by current Samsung SSD drive using Acronis True Image and then restored the clone into my new Kingstone SSD but that did not work as the new SSD did not boot.
  2. 2nd Attempt, i considered that it might be an Acronis clone problem so i decided to do a clean/fresh install, so i formatted the new installed Kingstone SSD and installed a fresh copy of windows on it using a bootable USB Flash Drive however after completing windows installation windows wouldn't boot as if there is no windows installed and it would go straight into BIOS. In BIOS the Boot Priority Option was even empty.
  3. 3rd Attempt, i wanted to check maybe its something wrong with the windows copy im installing eeven though its coming straight from Microsoft, so i installed my Old SSD back in my laptop, did a format and installed a fresh copy of windows into it and it booted just fine!
Doing the installation process on my Samsung SSD it boots and works perfectly, however when i do the same process on my new Kingstone SSD it does not boot.
I went through a lot of topics and tried all sort of BIOS settings but nothing worked. I updated my BIOS to the latest version available on ASUS website.
I bought an external case for the SSD to see if the Kingstone SSD is working fine and it was.. i was able to use it normally as an external SSD.
I know that the ASUS laptop can read it as i was able to install windows on it but for some reason it just don't want to recognize it as a bootable SSD!

I tried turning off Secure Boot, setting is set to AHCI (even tried IDE and RAID)
In diskpart (inside the windows installation process) i can see that letter C is already assigned to it.

I am out of ideas on why my laptop is not accepting to boot using Kingstone SSD.

Appreciate any thought on this.
Please let me know if you need information or even screenshot.

Thank you

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to read through these guides;
https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/rog-gaming-notebooks/rog-g751jy-storage-slots/m-p/841501

Apr 12, 2023
Hi Lutfij,

thank you for the reply, The laptop is already booting from the NVMe Samsung SSD so that shouldn't be the problem.
When i bought it it came with the M.2 Samsung SSD as the Bootable Windows SSD, what i am just trying to do is install a bigger one in size