Question Asus ROG G752VS Does not charge and throttles

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
Hello, so i have this Asus ROG G752VS gaming laptop with i7-6700HQ and GTX 1070. The machine was working fine, however one day it will not wake up - no signs of life. After trying for several times i tried a lower rated charger and it turned on. However from then on the laptop will not charge the battery and will produce throttling for no reason - while running 3DMark the fps will drop frequently. I have already replaced the battery to no avail - it is out of warranty, what could be the problem. I assume there may be a problem with a power circuit - could the powerboard be at fault?I think that part is replaceable, but i dont have any idea how a DC jack would affect anything.

PS. the battery indicator in Windows either shows the battery as 255% or 0%, but plugged in (it does not say its charging, just plugged in).

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020
Hello, I have the laptop model and pretty much have the same problem. one day it is was working great and fine, shut it down, and next day it didn't want to start up. first the power button is lit for a second or so then off. tried to press it again, power button is not lit and nothing happened at all. I tried to plug the adapter in different plug, and I noticed its lid turn on for a moment and then off (not sure what does this means). it started to after I tried holding the power button for 30+ seconds trick, but since then the battery doesn't charge at all and just shows "plugged in" only, not "plulgged in, not charing", just "plugged in" only. also the laptop feels slower than usual and noticed some lag/low fps while playing games.

The power adapter is fine and it outputs the expected voltage (around 19.5V).
Unfortunately it is out of warranty period.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

what wattage power supplies are you guys using?

Also try updating newest bios if you already dont have. You can get that from asus site with your model or serial number.

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Asus_Rog_G752V_Troubleshooting

And for OP what kind of temperatures are you hitting? download hwmonitor leave it backround then check max temperatures what cpu and gpu / pch hit after you done benchmarking. You guys could have different problems.

Forgot to mention that if your battery is faulty and you get shuttdowns and it wont charge well this can cause faulty power supply and even killing the charging circuit of the motherboard.

Something like this might of happened already for op. You both can try this fix first : https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix-a-windows-10-laptop-thats-plugged-in-but-isnt-charging/

Have both of you confirmed your power supply is actually giving 19.5v with multimeter?

FreeOne86 if that fix wont work then just get new battery (original) and double test your power supply is RATED wattage and voltage for this model, with multimeter.

Apr 4, 2020
my power adapter is original and it is what came with the laptop when bought it.
multimeter reads around 19.5-19.8V.

Bios is also already updated.

will check cpu/gpu temperatures, but in general I didn't notice any thing unusual (unusual heat/fans sound)

still no luck and at the moment battery is disconnected and running from adapter power.

There are rare cases where power adapter gives good readings but fails under load so you cant measure it, i only had this once though. But one thing is for sure, bad battery can cause problems with the power brick and motherboard charging circuit. Most likely its internal problem with motherboards charging circuit, if you get any problems running it without battery then change DC jack : https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAPTOP-ASU...RD-69N108E11F00-REPAIR-PARTS-JI-/202734845706

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
Forgot to mention that if your battery is faulty and you get shuttdowns and it wont charge well this can cause faulty power supply and even killing the charging circuit of the motherboard.

Something like this might of happened already for op. You both can try this fix first : https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix-a-windows-10-laptop-thats-plugged-in-but-isnt-charging/

Have both of you confirmed your power supply is actually giving 19.5v with multimeter?

FreeOne86 if that fix wont work then just get new battery (original) and double test your power supply is RATED wattage and voltage for this model, with multimeter.

I have tested more than one power supply and i can confirm the issue persists with either of them, i have also bought another battery and after replacing - the issue persists. You have mentioned that i could try replacing the DC jack - actually i was thinking about it, but what would that change?Its just the connector, could it be at fault?The temperatures are good, what happens is, for example, in 3DMark the cpu gets throttled to 0.79ghz that produces fps drops which are constant. While running OCCT cpu test there are no drops, the downclocking happens only when cpu and gpu are running together. Obviously i have updated the bios and a load of other software stuff and i believe replacing the DC jack is the only other viable option left.

my power adapter is original and it is what came with the laptop when bought it.
multimeter reads around 19.5-19.8V.

Bios is also already updated.

will check cpu/gpu temperatures, but in general I didn't notice any thing unusual (unusual heat/fans sound)

still no luck and at the moment battery is disconnected and running from adapter power.

If the battery is disconnected do you experience throttling and fps drops in games? (you mentioned the laptop is running slower).

PS. I have ordered the DC power board, will arrive within a week or so, hopefully that will fix it, if not - there is a problem inside the motherboard.

Last edited:
If the charging circuit is busted and your using right wattage power supply you should be able to run games without throttling unless there is temperature related throttling.
DC jack is probably not solving this issue but worth a try since i cant see the laptop myself its a crapshoot.

Have you tried if throttling happens when you run benchmark in linux? You can try bootable DVD or USB linux

Apr 4, 2020
If the battery is disconnected do you experience throttling and fps drops in games? (you mentioned the laptop is running slower).
I'm experiencing performance issues and FPS drop when playing games either with battery connect or without. I disconnected the batter as it is around %7 right now and it is not charging anyway.

The temperatures are good, what happens is, for example, in 3DMark the cpu gets throttled to 0.79ghz that produces fps drops which are constant. While running OCCT cpu test there are no drops, the downclocking happens only when cpu and gpu are running together.
Noticed the same when using OCCT 3D test or even leaving it in the background and open/play any game. When there is GPU activity, CPU frequency immediately drops to around 790-ish MHz. it is happening even after updating the power plan to set "minimum processor state" to 100% (found some threads on the internet suggesting this). to confirm too, CPU heat gets around 60-70 degrees, seems to be fine to me.

Look the power jack connector from outside of laptop with a flashlight, does it look more like this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

or this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

If i would do this job, change thermal paste while at it, clean old paste

Test cmos battery (round battery on other side of motherboard after you got it off from the case) that its atleast 3volts with multimeter, if you dont have multimeter take it off and connect back to motherboard after 15minutes.

Thing is you will "probably" see something physically wrong with the dc power board or pins where it connects, unless its charging circuit problem. Theres no schematic for asus motherboards or its extremely rare.

Apr 4, 2020
after some digging on internet about the throttling point, seems for some reason when the laptop goes under heavy load on CPU and GPU like games, something send BD PROCHOT signal to throttle CPU to 790-ish MHz. Tested it with ThrottleStop app to disable BD PROCHOT and seems the FPS is fine, but ended up in another problem that laptop goes into some sort of forced sleep after sometime.

BD PROCHOT signal is sent to protect CPU if it goes into a serious heat temp, which is not that case. some threads suggests there is a faulty sensor on motherboard or power adapter that keeps sending this signal once a game starts for example without CPU starts to experience high temp situation. not sure.

BD PROCHOT can cause cpu throttling when you reach temperature limit for GPU or PCH chip and other way around, its NOT limited to cpu temperature only. You can test this while looking "package power" while stress testing both cpu and gpu, these share same combined wattage. I bet both of you will have issues with getting sufficient power to the cpu and gpu (cause of battery) or then its actually caused by thermal throttling. I suggest not to turn it off (bd prochot), if you really want to test with the power limit settings then follow this guide, you will need to uninstall throttlestop first and do full shuttdown before continuing:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhXIiBPJseI

This however has nothing to do with the battery issue, it also might be combination of both meaning that these models have issues with failing power board or charging circuit in the motherboard and also poor thermal / power throttling.

Have to say dissassemblying this laptop seems kinda on the difficult side, you can do many things wrong until the battery connector is disconnected from the motherboard, after that you can chill. If you are about to do it then DONT use metal tweezers like some of these ppl.

What kind of dc jack it is for you guys? just look with flashlight straight where you connect power cable and does it look more like link 1 and 2 i posted earlier?

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
I am yet to receive the power board, still did not touch the machine quite for some time. These models are known to have good temps and no throttling due to thermals or power limiting but it seems what happened here is a disease for these models but i am not sure what is causing this. Hopefully the DC replacement will fix it or at least partially fix it lol. The disassembly is not difficult but it is rather time consuming, pretty much the same with any Alienware. Playing with ThrottleStop will not help here as certainly there is something wrong with the power hence the battery not charging even after replacement. Fingers crossed its the DC board, will update you on that.

Btw my dc port is the same as this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...491a6b38cd3b07da59e7&cn=10748&Afref=TechRadar

Freeone you might try waiting since tuxedo187 has the same motherboard and power board until he tests, its still 50 bucks for the power in board. When you disassembled tuxedo187 did you look closely for any failing components (burn marks) or any liquid corrossion in the motherboard? Also check the power in board closely if the laptop is still in "pieces"

If the power board fails to give any results , check the motherboard id. its written somewhere on the board like this "G752VS main board REV:2.1 "

Last edited:
I dont know if flashing EC bios would help but worth a try, usually stored on another chip than main bios and controls battery charging and on/off switch function including other things.

This depends if they provide ec bios upgrades on the site, i can only see latest bios version BIOS 312 for G752VS and Version 305 for G752VSK. Sometimes there is upgrade for the ec region in these , but theres no info on any update.

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
Yeah i have tried power reset many times, held power button for over 1 minute with battery and charger disconnected. Asus does not provide any EC bios upgrades unfortunately. I have disassembled the laptop again today, removed the DC board, but it does not show any signs of damage or burns, the motherboard looks fine but ill take a second look tomorrow. Should get the dc port tomorrow, will see whether it helps, but im not too optimistic lol.

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
Okay so upon installing the new DC jack the problem persists, nothing changed. Well the problem is deeper that i thought it might be. I will bring it to a repair shop so they could track the fault and will update here as well once i know anything.