[SOLVED] Asus ROG GL703GM Random Reboots (Ark, Chrome, boot up sequence)

tsettsyung

Prominent
Jun 9, 2018
Hi all,

First post here in years. The short of it is that I have an Asus ROG GL703GM (8gig) that will randomly reboot whilst playing Ark: Survival evolved, Chrome, other times or even whilst booting up after previous reboot.

This is happening on a complete re-install of windows and software. The laptop is just out of warranty (of course it is!)

I have run "Star Swarm", 3dMark, HeavyLoad, MemTest86 as well as other burn-in testing software and NONE OF THOSE are reporducing the reboot issue. Yet I'm dubious to call this a software issue, because this is on a clean install of everything and these programs work fine on my main PC.

I am now running the laptop on a cooling pad, but it is still rebooting, so I don't think it's a heating issue.

I'm tempted to undervolt just a smidge to make sure that there's no isolated heat issue causing the reboot (?)

So, my question is this: Any ideas what I could do to stop the reboot issue?
[Please don't say "Just don't play ark", because it will still happen at other times 😆]

It's out of warranty so I'm happy to take it apart (dont that a lot in the past to replace other peoples laptops parts).

Any help and advice (within reason :tearsofjoy:) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks eveyone,

Mike

Solution
@tsettsyung
I would stop playing Ark ... oh wait ...

So, while you don't think this is a heat issue, I do. Just out of warrenty, so 1 year old? Plenty of time for dust to build up. You say you are comfortable taking it apart, so I pull the back lid and look for dust in the radiators. Looking at pictures, you may have to pull the whole cooling assembly to get access, so have some good quality thermal paste ready. Check the fans too.

Other potential issues. Power ... not very likely. Software ... again unlikely (if it was a driver issue the Ark boards would be lighting up).

Undervolting/underclocking the GPU is another route you can take to limit heat production and could also fix a circumvent a power issue. I'm pretty...
@tsettsyung
I would stop playing Ark ... oh wait ...

So, while you don't think this is a heat issue, I do. Just out of warrenty, so 1 year old? Plenty of time for dust to build up. You say you are comfortable taking it apart, so I pull the back lid and look for dust in the radiators. Looking at pictures, you may have to pull the whole cooling assembly to get access, so have some good quality thermal paste ready. Check the fans too.

Other potential issues. Power ... not very likely. Software ... again unlikely (if it was a driver issue the Ark boards would be lighting up).

Undervolting/underclocking the GPU is another route you can take to limit heat production and could also fix a circumvent a power issue. I'm pretty sure the Nvidia drivers will allow you to set a max FPS (might be for all games) and that is another way to limit heat and power issues (and an easy way to test without taking everything apart).

Reactions: tsettsyung
Solution

tsettsyung

Prominent
Jun 9, 2018
Many thanks anotherdrew,

I'll start on undervolting today whilst I wait for some thermal paste to arrive. Is there a particular brand/range that you'd recommend for a gaming laptop?