Question ASUS ROG Laptop ~1 year old running very slowly all of a sudden

Dec 8, 2018
Recently I booted up my laptop and some windows popup said how it had to uninstall some update to boot up. This was where my extremely fast laptop turned to garbage. Now regular browsing sometimes gets laggy and I also struggle to get 30 fps in literally any game, and im out of ideas. I have tried: Reinstalling Windows, Changing numerous power settings, Changed many Nvidia graphics settings, Uninstalled some windows updates (before reinstalling windows), Reset my BIOS settings to default, Reinstalling the slowly running programs, and I tried installing older Nvidia drivers. I have also tried moving the games from my HDD to my SSD, but that had no effect.

Before whatever happened, I never had any problems getting over 120 fps on Fortnite at max settings, as well as got over 120 fps on Battlefield 4 on max settings with a high render scale. Also it does not appear there is any issue interally on the laptop.

z0ove

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
i think your laptop is throttling.
Undervolt it.
Check is the fans are working correctly
clean the cooling system
replace the thermal compound

Hope this help you

Saludos

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dec 8, 2018
Don't undervolt, and unlikely the thermal paste is the problem.
That does not come about all of a sudden.

This is a software issue.
"some windows popup " - What was this, specifically?
I didnt see it in full and I restarted my pc without thinking about it, which was stupid of me. But it said something about how it had to "Uninstall windows updates to allow the computer to boot correctly.", or something along those lines, but thats the gist of it. And yes im 99.9% sure this is not a thermal issue.