[SOLVED] Asus ROG laptop overheating and repaste

Apr 4, 2020
Hi, after about 6 months of usage for my asus rog zephyrus m15(GU502LW), my temps have been getting quite hot. Under load, my cpu is around 90c to 93c and GPU is about 83c - 86c under load. Thats quite hot for my laptop right? On the site it says it uses liquid metal for cpu cooling and I'm thinking of replacing both. My question is: Should I repaste with LM for CPU and regular for GPU? Also, what kinds should I use?

I've been building desktop pc's for over 15 years, but I've never even messed around with replacing paste on laptops until now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
No, those results are actually common for gaming laptops.

[looking at the product page] Oh wow, they really did use liquid metal in there.
That doesn't help much, since the problem with gaming laptops is the total package: cpu + gpu + cooler + laptop's shell.

I guess you've got a little too much power under the hood and the shell is probably trapping heat.
I suggest raising the back end to improve ventilation from below - get a cooling pad, or DIY something, just get the bottom vents more breathing room.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, those results are actually common for gaming laptops.

[looking at the product page] Oh wow, they really did use liquid metal in there.
That doesn't help much, since the problem with gaming laptops is the total package: cpu + gpu + cooler + laptop's shell.

I guess you've got a little too much power under the hood and the shell is probably trapping heat.
I suggest raising the back end to improve ventilation from below - get a cooling pad, or DIY something, just get the bottom vents more breathing room.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
I have a cooling pad already, a thermaltake massive rgb, https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...rmaltake+massive+20+rgb&qid=1614911752&sr=8-1

but i would like to have my temps lower. especially since im starting to mine with it. ive read in forums that they usually do a poor job with the LM application, and others have replaced it and gotten around -10c afterwards. I heard LM needs consistent repastes to become effective, is that true?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I heard LM needs consistent repastes to become effective, is that true?
No, it's not. If it's applied correctly the first time, it will not need multiple applications.

'Not too dry, and not too wet', when using liquid metal.
By too dry, I mean spreading it real thin - that there's no 'pools' present on the die.
By too wet, I mean applying so much that it 'rolls' across the die with ease, over the substrate... and if it comes into contact with anything, that's RIP laptop.
It needs to be a little 'wet'.