wobbleidz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
www.i-TNA.net
Hey there,

I have an Asus ROG Strix GL703 laptop that gets really high temps and so out of option at this point. If anyone can give me some pointers on what else I could do to make it better, that'd be so great.

Config: i7 7700HQ // GTX 1060 // 16 GB RAM // 128 GB SSD / 1 TB HDD // 120hz - 17" Screen. // Win 10.

Things I did:
Replaced thermal paste several times (I even tried the liquid metal compound but it didn't last long).
Tried setting the CPU core voltage offset to -100 in Intel Xtreme Utility.
Tried setting the GPU core clock to -100 in MSI Afterburner.
Uninstalled drivers and reinstalled fresh ones using DDU.
Uninstalled Nvidia GeForce Experience.
There is no option to disable Intel Turbo Boost so I did it via power options, setting Maximum Processor State to 99%.

---

Even with all these things, temps still go into 90 to 95 C degrees in games like Overwatch, Star Wars Battlegrounds II , RDR2, Battlefield V, etc.

For what I've monitored, I noticed how the GPU first starts to heat up and later on the CPU will go up as well. It's not good.

Any pointers or something to do to make it better? Maybe some settings for my GPU that could make an impact on the temps? It would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi guys, in the hopes that this thread might help future Asus ROG users, I will post what I did to fix my problem.
  1. Proper repaste with good quality thermal paste.
  2. Reapplied thermal pads. 0.5 mm are perfect for this model.
  3. Undervolted my CPU to 130mv using XTU.
  4. Cleaned the fans and the vents, thoroughly!
I was already getting good enough temps to be happy but I proceeded to point no.5
5. Bought a cooling pad for a 17" laptop. The one I got is this 20 quid one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079FPQFL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To close this. I found out that these laptops are poorly designed and they need to be opened up maybe once in two months to be cleaned. Especially at the right...

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to inspect the venting on the cooling assembly, it's possible that there might be dirt/debris lodged in the cooling fins. To add, see if you can do more of the undervolting to curb temps. The other thing to do with your GPU is to reduce the amount of graphical detail for your games, perhaps their resolution.

Latest BIOS for your laptop?

wobbleidz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
www.i-TNA.net
You might want to inspect the venting on the cooling assembly, it's possible that there might be dirt/debris lodged in the cooling fins. To add, see if you can do more of the undervolting to curb temps. The other thing to do with your GPU is to reduce the amount of graphical detail for your games, perhaps their resolution.

Latest BIOS for your laptop?

Hi, thanks for your reply.
The laptop is squeaky clean, I made sure of it.

I heard something about making a custom fan curve for the GPU , but I don't know how to upload profiles into MSI Afterburner, I feel like I might break something. I tried to copy paste the profiles into the Afterburner profiles folder, but Afterburner won't see it as I can't select profiles.

Bios:

msinfo32-2020-01-05-17-49-26.png

wobbleidz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2013
www.i-TNA.net
Hi guys, in the hopes that this thread might help future Asus ROG users, I will post what I did to fix my problem.
  1. Proper repaste with good quality thermal paste.
  2. Reapplied thermal pads. 0.5 mm are perfect for this model.
  3. Undervolted my CPU to 130mv using XTU.
  4. Cleaned the fans and the vents, thoroughly!
I was already getting good enough temps to be happy but I proceeded to point no.5
5. Bought a cooling pad for a 17" laptop. The one I got is this 20 quid one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079FPQFL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To close this. I found out that these laptops are poorly designed and they need to be opened up maybe once in two months to be cleaned. Especially at the right and left vents where dust tends to build up. There's no other way around this except completely removing the vents which I do not want to do.

If anyone else needs more details on this, please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to help out with whatever I can.

Cheers!

Solution