[SOLVED] ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum.....is it worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 11, 2020
Hey Guys,

because of some problems with my graphics card, I have been looking for a new one. I found a used but pristine ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum 3GB, a flagship card built
for overclocking made with really quality parts. I can get this card for about $90. Is it worth it? I can also get a used but also like new MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4 GB for about the same price.
I have to admit, the 780 Ti is what my gut is telling me to go for. Its so well built and looks great! Over 7 million transistors, 6.175 TFLOPS, and 2880 shading units!! The stats on the card are
mesmerizing....all but the Base and Boost Clock stock...but of course it is built for overclocking but really for hardcore Ln2 overclockers.

Looking for some Graphics Card Gurus to give me some advice here. I've watched alot of benchmark videos on youtube with this card and to be fair, even if its FPS drags way behind for example
a GTX 1060, the graphics still look amazing and you dont really notice the difference in FPS...at least I couldnt, and I couldnt see any lag spikes that my be caused with its limited 3GB of Vram.

Just a note....I am on a budget and trying to get the best bang for my limited budget.

So Gurus....which should I get?? heres some links for some quick info about the cards

ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-rog-matrix-gtx-780-ti-platinum.b2873
View: https://youtu.be/nPUwIv39SKs

MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4 GB
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-gtx-960-gaming-4-gb.b3239

AND....I just found a Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 2x OC 3GB for the same price as the ones above

GIGABYTE GTX 1060 WindForce 2X OC

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-gtx-1060-windforce-2x-oc.b3795

and this one

MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-gtx-1060-gaming-x.b3804

Which should I get???

Last edited:
Solution
Hahah, for someone on a budget even a gt 1030 is a beast. Let's say 780 Ti, 1060 and 970 are today's mid-end oriented GPUs for 1080p 45-60+ FPS.
Yes. I totally agree with you, the gt 1030 is not terrible, the 750ti can game.(many people like the 750ti)
The Gtx970 can crush games.

but the 780ti is a BEAST.
Sep 11, 2020
The 780ti paired with (almost) any modern CPU would make a great combo.

Yes now I have a Phenom II x4 955 BE.......but I will be getting with the Card a FX 8350. These CPUs are still popular and surprisingly sell for more than a new Ryzen 3 3000G on the used market!

I have seen great reviews of the Ryzen 3 3000G....gaming without a dedicated GPU is possible on one of these!

Ok. We saw your other thread and posted in there:

Depends on title, some the 970 will win, some the 780ti will win. Having had a 780ti classified, and a 970, I would take the 970 every time. The measly 3-5 fps gains, when the 780ti does win, isn't worth the huge difference in power consumption.

I agree. 970 appears to be more optimized for newer games and stuff, mb that's why the gap between it and the 1060 3 GB is lower than what it is between 780 Ti and the 1060. Another GPU to mention is the 1650, a bit weaker than the 970, but still stronger than 780 Ti; I think I tried to mention these in the thread.
The OP seems to want the 780 Ti, probably he can't find a cheap 970, and also can't I around right now - the cheapest where I live are no less than 70 euro, while 1060 3 G 55-65 euro. 1650 is~ the price of a 980 around (85-100+ euro), but yes, the wattage is really different. Which thing generally results just in a little bigger electricity bill. The PSU longevity can be other affected in the current situation, but I guess the OP'd find money for a better quality when it comes to it.

Reactions: OmegaMaximus
Sep 11, 2020
I agree. 970 appears to be more optimized for newer games and stuff, mb that's why the gap between it and the 1060 3 GB is lower than what it is between 780 Ti and the 1060. Another GPU to mention is the 1650, a bit weaker than the 970, but still stronger than 780 Ti; I think I tried to mention these in the thread.
The OP seems to want the 780 Ti, probably he can't find a cheap 970, and also can't I around right now - the cheapest where I live are no less than 70 euro, while 1060 3 G 55-65 euro. 1650 is~ the price of a 980 around (85-100+ euro), but yes, the wattage is really different. Which thing generally results just in a little bigger electricity bill. The PSU longevity can be other affected in the current situation, but I guess the OP'd find money for a better quality when it comes to it.

Yes I think I am locked on that 780ti Matrix Platinum. A GTX 970 would cost me around 90-100 euros here in Germany. I havent even considered a 1650...I will take a look at that card. So I just checked on eBay and they are still pricey.....would cost me more than the 780ti !

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I find it difficult to recommend any card that came before before Pascal to anyone these days. Pascal is just so much more efficient than anything that came before that the mid range models outperform even previous generation Titans while using a lot less power. Try running any modern game on a 1st generation Titan with 6gb and you'll see what I mean. Even the Maxwell Titan gets wrecked by the 1070Ti.

Reactions: OmegaMaximus
Sep 11, 2020
I find it difficult to recommend any card that came before before Pascal to anyone these days. Pascal is just so much more efficient than anything that came before that the mid range models outperform even previous generation Titans while using a lot less power.

This is a good point, but that being said, you do have to admit that the ASUS ROG GTX 780ti Matrix Platinum is still a beast of a card and performs well even against Pascal based cards?

the Maxwell Titan gets wrecked

Yes.. Wasn't this GPU actually the first reason for ppl to say that Titans are just overhyped? I recall of some comparisons of the Maxwell's Titan in youtube with a GTX 690, where ppl were laughing about the results afterwards. Titans appear to be more oriented for just to serve a wider range of things than gaming. I guess I'd want some Titan if I wanted to do video editing, or if I wanted to do professional/architecture things such as active working with AutoCad or s.th. such without having a specific workstation card about it. Just see the Titan RTX (24 GB) vs 2080 Ti 11 GB. Can't say it has even 4% pure ouperformance in gaming, and only really rich and enthusistic gamers would run for Titans if it's just for their gaming being better.

you do have to admit that the ASUS ROG GTX 780ti Matrix Platinum is still a beast of a card and performs well even against Pascal based cards?

It will outperform GT1030, GTX 1050 and 1050 Ti, but that's all. The 13% bonus they mention may just make it almost equal to a 1060 3 GB, while anything else from Pascal (1060 6 GB, 1070 and so on) will be ahead of 780 Ti for sure.
Pascal is gen. 10, Maxwell is gen. 900 (950, 960, 970 and so on)

Haven't you already bough the 780 Ti actually?