[SOLVED] ASUS ROG Max. XII Hero Z490 + 2 or 3 M.2 Drives - Issues w/ GPU?

Aug 12, 2020
Hey all,

I'm considering using only M.2 drives in my next build for my storage needs; specifically, the new Samsung Evo PLUS line 2TB. All I do is game, however, and I'm worried what 2 or 3 M.2 drives do to the PCIe bandwidth.

I'm planning to purchase the ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero which has 3xM.2 slots, and on page 13 of the manual (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...6575_ROG_MAXIMUS_XII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf ) I can't really make heads-or-tails of what the effects of filling 2 or even all 3 M.2 slots would have on the limited PCIe 3.0 slots as I obviously want my GPU to have all x16 lanes. I assume a board such as this wouldn't offer more than one M.2 if there was a chance it would hinder a discrete GPU, but I am ignorant on this one. I understand enough to grasp that using some of slots would disable SATA ports (which wouldn't matter if I only use M.2s for storage, as planned), but that's about it.

Can anyone shed any light here? A few hours of internet research has left me unsure if this is the smart way to go if one games on Intel.

Best,
-Dune

Solution
when using the first pcie slot, nothing will take any lanes from it. m.2 slot #1 gets 4 pcie lanes as well

according to the manual when using the second m.2 slot in pcie x4 mode, it will disable the 3rd pcie slot at the bottom of the board. no biggie if you don't plan on using all 3 pcie slots.

look at page 12 for various configs. m.2 slot #1 disables the sata ports with the letter D pointing to it.

so the top 2 m.2 slots will disable sata ports 1&2 (letter D) and pcie slot 3 if you use both slots. if you go with the 3rd m.2 slot as well then you also lose sata ports 5&6 (letter C)

i'm guessing you won't have many sata ports used if you're going all m.2 slots

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when using the first pcie slot, nothing will take any lanes from it. m.2 slot #1 gets 4 pcie lanes as well

according to the manual when using the second m.2 slot in pcie x4 mode, it will disable the 3rd pcie slot at the bottom of the board. no biggie if you don't plan on using all 3 pcie slots.

look at page 12 for various configs. m.2 slot #1 disables the sata ports with the letter D pointing to it.

so the top 2 m.2 slots will disable sata ports 1&2 (letter D) and pcie slot 3 if you use both slots. if you go with the 3rd m.2 slot as well then you also lose sata ports 5&6 (letter C)

Reactions: Dune5712
Solution
Aug 12, 2020

Thank you so much, Math Geek! It sounds like I might be in the clear on this one and it won't negatively affect GPU performance at all. I really appreciate your response (and figuring out that chart on P.12)!
-Dune