Asus ROG Maximus X Hero Z370 vs Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z370

zorrodude

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to decide which board to get for the I7 8700k processor. I've only ever had an MSI mobo for my I5 2500k. So outside of that, I have no knowledge on these 2 other brands other than what little reviews there are on the internet.

I know how to do basic overclocking, but I don't plan on doing extreme overclocking for the 8700k. As of right now I've narrowed it down to 2 motheboards. The Maximus X and the Aorus Gaming 7. Part of the reason I'm over analyzing which mobo to get is because I want this to last me the next 5+ years.

I currently have an Asus 1080 Strix GPU and an NZXT Kraken water cooler for the cpu if that helps.

I've read that the software bios for Gigabyte is trash and Asus is far superior, which is having me lean more towards the Asus. I know the gigabyte mobo doesn't have built in wifi, but that isn't a selling point for me. I've also read that there has been some hardware issues with the ASUS board.

If anyone has any other questions on whatever please feel free to ask.

Solution
The Gigabyte has some issues with the cosmetic AMP Audio shroud getting in the way of some GPU.

Looking at customer review averages. Both seems to have the same number of hardware issues.

Both appear to OC about the same.

You will be able to use Aura Sync to synchronize the RGB lighting between the Asus Strix and Maximus Hero.

I'd get the ASUS. As you get the Aura sync and no GPU obstruction issues. Everything else is similar between the two.
Both boards are very good. The Gigabyte bios may not be up there but it is more than good enough for your overclocking needs. This is probably just a straight choice between what looks good to you as they are very close in terms of features and extras...Your Asus Strix 1080 would be a perfect match for the Hero though..

The Gigabyte has some issues with the cosmetic AMP Audio shroud getting in the way of some GPU.

Looking at customer review averages. Both seems to have the same number of hardware issues.

Both appear to OC about the same.

You will be able to use Aura Sync to synchronize the RGB lighting between the Asus Strix and Maximus Hero.

I'd get the ASUS. As you get the Aura sync and no GPU obstruction issues. Everything else is similar between the two.

Solution

Evvvvv

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

What do you mean by hardware issues?