[SOLVED] Asus ROG Maximus XI Apex DIMM.2 wiring direct to CPU (shared with GPU) or via PCH?

ctv

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I recently got an Asus ROG Maximus XI Apex. I have not yet assembled it as I have made an observation with regards to the wiring of the included DIMM.2 slot for SDDs. The manual states that the PCIE 3.0 x16 slot(s?) will run at x8 if SSD are installed in the DIMM.2 as to my understanding it should in principal share the lanes with the GPU and not go through the PCH, though on the specifications tab online it in contrast suggests the DIMM.2 may actually be wired via the PCH instead. I am only using one GPU and I am aware even the mighty 2080Ti just about barely saturates PCIE 3.0 x8, though I would really like to keep the GPU slot running at x16 (future proofing beyond 2080Ti), though together with a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB nvme as primary storage and a single SATA drive as secondary. Any thoughts around this discrepancy of the documentation pertaining to the wiring of the DIMM.2 slot, what is the correct answer? Many thanks.

Solution
Don't worry about it. The manual is completely wrong. Both M.2 slots from the Dimm.2 run off of the pch. I have the Maximus XI Apex with 2 2080 Ti's running in SLI with 2 970 Pros and everything runs fine. I worried about this too when looking at the manual but the literally just copied and pasted from the dimm.2 section from the X299 boards.

tresnugget

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Don't worry about it. The manual is completely wrong. Both M.2 slots from the Dimm.2 run off of the pch. I have the Maximus XI Apex with 2 2080 Ti's running in SLI with 2 970 Pros and everything runs fine. I worried about this too when looking at the manual but the literally just copied and pasted from the dimm.2 section from the X299 boards.

Solution