[SOLVED] ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) decided to stick in POST

everseeker

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
Once upon a time...
Computer = 8700K on ASUS MB with a 2080, 4x8G sticks of RAM(32GB total), Corsair water cooler, High airflow case.So, One fine night, the computer was fine. Turned it off.
Next day, turned it on. Got to the first part of the BIOS Display (Showing "OverClock 30%" and asking me to hit del/F2 if I wanted to enter the BIOS which was normal) but it stopped there, showing post code 40 (40 is NOT in the list of codes)
So I hit Del and F2 - no reaction.
Rebooted, hitting Del/F2 spamy style as it loaded. This time, I did NOT get 40.(Yea?) Instead, I got A9[Start of setup] and the display was showing the same overclock message. Still no joy. Not responsive. the POST stopped there.
Re-tried several times. The results never varied: Hands off = 40, Del = A9, Games = 0So.I went Nuclear I tirggered the BIOS Reset sequence.
Green Light - BIOS Reset
Rebooted...
System Turned On, then Off, Then On, Then Off, Then On(THis is a good thing. BIOS is doing its self-setup. Only happens right after a BIOS Reset of after a large system change)
And it began to POST... Right to A2[IDE Detect] where it hung up
(Never got TO the Screen init, so the screen is blank. I hit Del and F2 - no reaction.
Rebooted, hitting Del/F2 spamy style as it loaded. System went into POST (Without the Off/On sequence) but stopped at A2[IDE Detect]Now, the results are: Hands off = A2, Del = A2, Games = 0

I reseated everything. Unplugged all external connections(Other then Monitor &Power) - no change
I have looked in various forums, but they all have, as step 1 of the solution, either "From the Start Menu...." or "In the BIOS..."
neither of which works with a brick.....

Thoughts?

Solution
I have the near exact system and certainly know how it feels. As Lutfij has said, try booting with the bare bones. 1 stick of RAM, GPU and only your main SSD to start with to see if we can isolate the issue. Double check all your connections especially the GPU PCIe power cables and if possible 2 separate PCIe cables instead of one which has another extension coming from it....

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Breadboard the system and see if you can power up with only the iGPU. What is the age of your PSU? Did you try removing the CMOS battery from the system, replacing it after 15 mins?

Reactions: DMAN999

everseeker

Prominent
Oct 13, 2018
CPU: Intel 8700K
Motherboard: (See title)
Ram: 32GB
SSD/HDD: M2 & SSD & HDD (Will pull brand names and specs when home)
GPU: 2080
PSU: 750W (Will pull brand when home, but it is a good one)
Chassis: New & sturdy...(Will pull brand/model when home)

What is the age of your PSU? about 6 months (Same as system)
Did you try removing the CMOS battery from the system, replacing it after 15 mins? No, but as I stated above, I used the Clear CMOS button on the mobo and confirmed that it worked

I will strip it bare and see if I can get it to post... If so, it's just a matter of plugging things in... one by one...
And, I'll update this with firm specs

I have the near exact system and certainly know how it feels. As Lutfij has said, try booting with the bare bones. 1 stick of RAM, GPU and only your main SSD to start with to see if we can isolate the issue. Double check all your connections especially the GPU PCIe power cables and if possible 2 separate PCIe cables instead of one which has another extension coming from it....

Solution

TRENDING THREADS