ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero won't power on

Nov 30, 2018
Morning all!

new pc build using the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero and a i9-9900k.
the PSU is a 1600W Evga model.

when everything wired up and powered on for the first time I briefly (like 1/40th of a sec) see fans twitch then turn off and recall a faint pop noise coming from the power supply only that first power cycle. the motherboard's ambient LEDs stay on as does the illuminated start button on the mobo itself (separate from the case power button). despite the system not booting, the lights stay on as long as I have the power supply plugged into wall outlet and the PSU's power switch on. The mobo's built in Q-code feature never worked - the seven segment displays are off. no post, no beeps, etc. this complete lack of feedback is making me think its a hardware failure of some sort.

The odd thing is that after several minutes of this behavior, the illuminated start button (on mobo) turned off and has not turned back on.

I'm 90% sure its a DOA power supply (with a bad 12V rail) but the fact that the power switch stayed illuminated at first for a few minutes has me doubting that.

i've done trouble shooting steps such as removing everything except cpu cooler and mobo power connectors, reseating the cpu, checking for shorts (especially looked for standoffs underneath the mobo). i checked that the bracket for the cpu cooler is not touching anything on the underside, and that it is installed correctly. I've not changed the coin battery as I don't see how that could be a problem - even bad CMOS battery will still allow pc to boot.

I have not contacted the parts vendor to request RMA yet because I want to be 100% sure ifs a dead PSU vs a bad motherboard (which may have caused the PSU to die). or worse a bad CPU. or worser worse, a bad PSU that killed all my components. I'm already dreading that as it will probably take weeks to resolve factoring in the fight with Customer service and shipping delays etc.

The manual does not describe what it means when the start button goes dark or the qcode thing stays off. my theory is that the 12v rail died, causing CPU to not even turn on/post and that the qcode thing requires at least CPU to be powered to work. however this doesn't really explain the start button being lit but then turning off for good after several minutes.

any thoughts? I've build PCs for myself several times but this is the first time i've ever had an issue like this at time t = 0.

thanks in advance!