[SOLVED] ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO and Samsung 970 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD

Artonn

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
So my motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO just arrived and I am planning to install a Samsung 970 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD, with my windows on it. I see there are three ports and I heard that some ports might be better to use than others? Also, a rumor about the closest one to the CPU is the fastest. What can I trust and what should I do?

Thank you.

Solution
Generally speaking, the closest one to the CPU will be the fastest but after looking at your motherboard specs all of your lanes were Pci-e 3.0 so the performance difference between slots will be 1 in a million bit difference so nothing. I have a 970 EVO 512Gb drive for my games because I cant be bothered trying to transfer my original windows over to it lol. I have mine in the first slot (One closest to the cpu) and i get a read of 3576 mb/s compared to 543 on my SATA ssd at the time of this comment, if your curious I got a score of 196.44 on my WB blue HDD so the Nvme drive is awesome. A good general rule for pc componets is to install in the first slot first so you'll be fine with any of them, but go for the closest one to the...

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
Generally speaking, the closest one to the CPU will be the fastest but after looking at your motherboard specs all of your lanes were Pci-e 3.0 so the performance difference between slots will be 1 in a million bit difference so nothing. I have a 970 EVO 512Gb drive for my games because I cant be bothered trying to transfer my original windows over to it lol. I have mine in the first slot (One closest to the cpu) and i get a read of 3576 mb/s compared to 543 on my SATA ssd at the time of this comment, if your curious I got a score of 196.44 on my WB blue HDD so the Nvme drive is awesome. A good general rule for pc componets is to install in the first slot first so you'll be fine with any of them, but go for the closest one to the cpu. Good luck, Also that Motherboard looks awesome, I have an AMD X470 MSI GAMING PLUS MAX refurbished, it works great for me lol

Reactions: Artonn
Solution

Artonn

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Generally speaking, the closest one to the CPU will be the fastest but after looking at your motherboard specs all of your lanes were Pci-e 3.0 so the performance difference between slots will be 1 in a million bit difference so nothing. I have a 970 EVO 512Gb drive for my games because I cant be bothered trying to transfer my original windows over to it lol. I have mine in the first slot (One closest to the cpu) and i get a read of 3576 mb/s compared to 543 on my SATA ssd at the time of this comment, if your curious I got a score of 196.44 on my WB blue HDD so the Nvme drive is awesome. A good general rule for pc componets is to install in the first slot first so you'll be fine with any of them, but go for the closest one to the cpu. Good luck, Also that Motherboard looks awesome, I have an AMD X470 MSI GAMING PLUS MAX refurbished, it works great for me lol

Thank you a lot for the answer, I will do that. Yours look nice and clean too!