[SOLVED] Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme won't go in to suspend mode ?

Feb 7, 2022
So recently I have replaced my aging ROG Maximus XI Extreme Z390 with the new ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme. But now I have this annoying problem - the new motherboard doesn't go into suspend. All the fans, LEDs, hard drives, power to USB devices, everything remains on. The old motherboard always suspended just fine and would power back on only with the power button.
I know it's not my OS, because I'm running identical OS on several other PCs and they all suspend just fine. I went through the BIOS settings with a fine tooth comb, but couldn't find anything. Any advice?

Solution
a few different times i've had issue with Windows' Sleep, Suspend, etc on multiple versions; XP, 8.1, 10.

it was usually just corrupt OS data but sometimes it can be motherboard control software or other types interfering with the default parameters.
if you have any 3rd party game optimization, system optimization, or other control software in place try disabling them.

usually though the only recourse was to do a fresh OS install with a new MS install package but 'SFC /scannow' could help.

i imagine you do have all of the ASUS motherboard's latest drivers installed directly from this product's support downloads page & have update to the newest BIOS?
a few different times i've had issue with Windows' Sleep, Suspend, etc on multiple versions; XP, 8.1, 10.

it was usually just corrupt OS data but sometimes it can be motherboard control software or other types interfering with the default parameters.
if you have any 3rd party game optimization, system optimization, or other control software in place try disabling them.

usually though the only recourse was to do a fresh OS install with a new MS install package but 'SFC /scannow' could help.

i imagine you do have all of the ASUS motherboard's latest drivers installed directly from this product's support downloads page & have update to the newest BIOS?

Solution
Feb 7, 2022

I'm not on Windows, my OS is Ubuntu 20.04. But surely, this couldn't be fault of the OS? Like I already mentioned, suspend works fine on a number of other PCs, laptops with identical OS. Unless this is some kind of hardware specific bug which I also find unlikely.

I have not updated the BIOS. This motherboard is very recent. Unless for some crazy reason this motherboard doesn't support S3 power state. Or maybe there's some setting buried among the million settings in BIOS.

Like I already mentioned, suspend works fine on a number of other PCs, laptops with identical OS
that has nothing to do with this particular issue.
data corruption can happen to any software, on any hardware, at any time regardless of the situation.
you may not notice software issues or hardware issues but then problems like this can still occur because of it.
I have not updated the BIOS. This motherboard is very recent. Unless for some crazy reason this motherboard doesn't support S3 power state.
BIOS get updated rather frequently, especially with newly released hardware.
the majority of the time to correct reported issues by the new owners.
you should definitely keep them up-to-date at least for the first year or two due to a lot of the time their included performance improvements along with fixes and compatibility updates.

you also don't mention if you've checked for and installed any available driver updates.

Feb 7, 2022
that has nothing to do with this particular issue.
data corruption can happen to any software, on any hardware, at any time regardless of the situation.
you may not notice software issues or hardware issues but then problems like this can still occur because of it.

BIOS get updated rather frequently, especially with newly released hardware.
the majority of the time to correct reported issues by the new owners.
you should definitely keep them up-to-date at least for the first year or two due to a lot of the time their included performance improvements along with fixes and compatibility updates.

you also don't mention if you've checked for and installed any available driver updates.

I guess it's worth it updating the BIOS, but I'm skeptical it will solve anything.

But correct me if I'm wrong - suspend, or otherwise S3 power state mode is basically an on/off switch and while off, the OS is inactive anyway? In my case once I invoke suspend, OS kills the displays, lighting to mouse and keyboard, but everything else is still powered and the system wakes up with touch of keyboard like it was just in lock screen mode. It's as if the OS is telling the motherboard to go to sleep and motherboard more or less ignores that command. I even set the motherboard's LED lighting to off while suspended in BIOS, but that didn't have any effect.

Also, which drivers are you referring to? As I'm on Ubuntu, all the drivers are built into the kernel with the exception of my Nvidia GPU driver which is always up to date. I am always on the newest possible kernel version too.

As I'm on Ubuntu, all the drivers are built into the kernel with the exception of my Nvidia GPU driver which is always up to date...

motherboard more or less ignores that command. I even set the motherboard's LED lighting to off while suspended
then it's possible that the motherboard just cannot follow the injected sleep state command until they update their built-in drivers.

try installing Windows in a dual-boot setup and see if it works properly from there.

Feb 7, 2022
then it's possible that the motherboard just cannot follow the injected sleep state command until they update their built-in drivers.

try installing Windows in a dual-boot setup and see if it works properly from there.

I see. I guess the only remaining option to eliminate now is to go through the pain of booting up installing Windows. Thanks for the suggestion.