Asus ROG motherboard with red LED

Maxarini

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
This is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cGkKnQ

My Asus ROG motherboard has some red LEDs on it. They turn on when I flip the switch on my PSU.

I was just wondering since no one who has a prebuilt PC really ever turns off that switch since they only use the button on the case, Do I need to turn the PSU switch off or can I leave it on along with the motherboard LED's?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
There's no need to switch off the PSU. Those red LEDs are diagnostic indicators and/or a decoration Asus uses around its sound circuitry supposedly indicating relative isolation from other components that can cause noise. They don't use a significant amount of power.
There's no need to switch off the PSU. Those red LEDs are diagnostic indicators and/or a decoration Asus uses around its sound circuitry supposedly indicating relative isolation from other components that can cause noise. They don't use a significant amount of power.

Solution
your like the 4 or 5th guy today with asus red light

when I come here to toms and click to show all threads it states -- 1795113 results:

and just asus with red light issues is --310443 results

that's like what?? 20% of all the threads here at toms

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/all.html?refine=asus+red+light+

does asus make a board that works right out of its box??

There is apparently not an issue here.
High-end Asus boards (e.g. ROG and Sabertooth) have LEDs for each subsection that light when the machine is switched on, then go off as the machine POSTs and each section is found to be "good." This includes the CPU, RAM, chipset, and Storage subsystems. If one of these LEDs remains on and the machine fails to boot, it suggests which subsection to check for the problem.

I have one of each (ROG and Sabertooth), and though BIOS versions may have altered behavior, the LEDS on mine come on during POST then go out. I've had some RAM issues in the past, causing that LED to stay on. Fortunately, MemOK! actually seems to work. The Gene also has that red strip around the sound circuits.

TRENDING THREADS